Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Got More Polishing Ahead Of The Holidays While First KDE Frameworks 6 Sprint Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Got More Polishing Ahead Of The Holidays While First KDE Frameworks 6 Sprint Started

Phoronix: KDE Got More Polishing Ahead Of The Holidays While First KDE Frameworks 6 Sprint Started

It was a busy week in the KDE space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please don't make the transition to KF6 as painful and bug ridden as that from KDE3 to KDE4.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      Please don't make the transition to KF6 as painful and bug ridden as that from KDE3 to KDE4.
      They are saying it will be designed not to be like that.

Comment

I hope it includes changing the default renderer to OpenGL 3.1 (or a newer Vulkan or OpenGL 4.x one). Don't know about y'all, but I get odd graphical glitches and compositor crashes with the default 2.0. KTouch's buttons are a decent example where 3.1 fixes 2.0 issues.

Also really struggling with learning Dvorak

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          That's one of their primary goals this time.

....to not be...can go either way w/o that addendum...

Comment

You guys probably aren't aware... But this is about a bunch of libraries, not the desktop. I know, I know, it's confusing to have to acknowledge that the KDE community makes many things. But when it comes to libraries, KDE 3 to KDE 4 wasn't that bad: the porting effort wasn't huge (the bad break back then was porting from Qt 3 to Qt 4, that was really bad). But kdelibs4 to KDE Frameworks, that was really a lot of work.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              mataining configuration file compatibility between KF6/KF5,
              Nice to see the Yakuake HiDPI changes! Does this mean it will be centered again? (rather than appearing at the top left)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I hope it includes changing the default renderer to OpenGL 3.1 (or a newer Vulkan or OpenGL 4.x one). Don't know about y'all, but I get odd graphical glitches and compositor crashes with the default 2.0. KTouch's buttons are a decent example where 3.1 fixes 2.0 issues.

Also really struggling with learning Dvorak
                Are you using a NVIDIA card? They can be very problematic on Plasma depending on the version of the drivers your running. I have zero issues with artifacting on my RX 590, and my Vega 8 Igpu

Comment

As they described: KGlobalAccel is poorly designed, with some management inside Kwin, but some usage within other applications (mostly multimedia, plus the really bizarre and unique "Gewnview" implementation. It needs some design and re-usable work.

One thing which I would like to have, on desktop, is the ability to use more mouse buttons. It was a famous disaster of X11 to support only 3 mouse button flags in the mouse event headers. Qt supports 32 buttons, but KDE has no "Global" way to configure their functionality - currently, each application needs to configure it's own mouse event handling (as code, and with unique configuration methods).

If a simple API were provided to testMouseGlobalAccelerator (&QMouseEvent , maskOfApplicationSupportedActions) ' which returned the mask value of a "matched" MouseGobalAccelerator function, then the GUI and storage management of these MouseGlobalAccelerators could be universal for all accelerators and applications. Perhaps the storage management schema could include the specific applications which have "registered" to support specific MouseGlobalAccelerator actions.

I'm not a programmer, please comment if I spoke badly.
                  Last edited by rickst29; 24 November 2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Why is Debian testing / unstable still stuck with old Plasma? Qt migration succeeded a while ago already.

Comment

Working...
                    X