Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State of X Server 1.6: Still Missing

Phoronix: The State of X Server 1.6: Still Missing

For those that haven't noticed or have forgot, X Server 1.6, which was the update Intel wanted out by the end of 2008, still hasn't been released. The latest schedule for X Server 1.6.0 called for a January 5th release, but that had simply passed by and there wasn't even a release candidate. As it stands right now, no code has been committed to X Server 1.6 since the first release candidate was tagged over two weeks ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are distros in alpha waiting to ship the new Xorg until it's officially released, or do they just pack what's available?

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      Are distros in alpha waiting to ship the new Xorg until it's officially released, or do they just pack what's available?
      That depends: If it's Fedora, they'll package it in whatever state, otherwise distros will stay with the stable ones

Well.. a bit more honest: If it's in a stable-like state, distros like Ubuntu will probably ship it, too, otherwise most will stay with the real stable ones.

Comment

I think the original 1.6 content and schedule was picked specifically to make sure that the major distros *could* pick it up in their spring release.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
          Ubuntu 9.04 is currently tracking X Server 1.6.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Man, I thank the developers of X server. I am sure they are working hard.

Comment

I believe this is your explanation.

It has been a while since my last post here. Not because nothing happened, but mostly because I did not have time to do much for X. Fortunately, Julien is taking good care of X in Debian so we are still close to latest upstream bits. Obviously, due to Lenny's freeze, everything is happening in…

A note from the developer on Xorg .

Development was being done in Debian by Julien and not in X.org by Brice, due to his busy schedule.

Comment

I'm eagerly waiting for a solid release. Gentoo won't put this in their official package repository until then.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWind View Post
                  http://bgoglin.livejournal.com/16547.html

A note from the developer on Xorg .

Development was being done in Debian by Julien and not in X.org by Brice, due to his busy schedule.
                  Thanks for the link. I'm too waiting eagerly for 1.6, if I was wealthy enough I would hire somebody to help with X projects.

Comment

Working...
                  X