FreeBSD Had A Very Busy End Of Year 2019 With Numerous Advancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Had A Very Busy End Of Year 2019 With Numerous Advancements

Phoronix: FreeBSD Had A Very Busy End Of Year 2019 With Numerous Advancements

The FreeBSD project has issued their last quarterly status update for 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rockchip support sounds nice...
    i'll give it a try as soon as my private kobol helios64 NAS arrives.
    Hopefully PCIe support is stable enough

Comment

Linux compatibility layer update - tracking CentOS 8 (means kernel 4.18? that's pretty big jump at once from 2.6.32.. ˇˇ)

Comment

They mentioned Bastille.. Cool

What is Bastille?
        Bastille is an open-source system for automating deployment and management of containerized applications on FreeBSD.

Bastille uses FreeBSD jails as a container platform and adds template automation to create a Docker-like collection of containerized software. The template collection currently validates 30-40 applications from the ports tree, and is growing!

Templates take care of installing, configuring, enabling, and starting the software, providing an automated way of building containerized stacks.

Bastille is available in ports at sysutils/bastille.
        Bastille is pretty easy and seems decent. I like it's layout and it seems to use just regular vanilla jail configs.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          Linux compatibility layer update - tracking CentOS 8 (means kernel 4.18? that's pretty big jump at once from 2.6.32.. ˇˇ)
          They were [are] tracking centos 7, so kernel 3.10. Centos 6 was dropped last year.

Comment

Originally posted by edenist View Post

They were [are] tracking centos 7, so kernel 3.10. Centos 6 was dropped last year.
            From the user point of view, when running 13-CURRENT, Linux jails are now in a mostly working state: you can SSH into a jail with CentOS 8 binaries

Comment

I thought the Linuxluator was lacking some more obscure Linux system calls that FreeBSD didn't need (and thus didn't want to add) and that is a large part of our compatibility issue. My question is can't those system calls be added in the module, doesn't that make more sense than trying to put them in the kernel?

It'd be great to have this it has a lot of uses and applications. (Hell even Microsoft wants it with WSL)

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I thought the Linuxluator was lacking some more obscure Linux system calls that FreeBSD didn't need (and thus didn't want to add) and that is a large part of our compatibility issue. My question is can't those system calls be added in the module, doesn't that make more sense than trying to put them in the kernel?

It'd be great to have this it has a lot of uses and applications. (Hell even Microsoft wants it with WSL)
                You run linuxulator by loading 'linux.ko' or 'linux64.ko' kernel modules. Or it changed suddenly? What precisely was done can probably be figured out by checking recent commits into CURRENT.

My interest in Linux ABI is limited to getting Netflix to work over it, need nothing else out of it - so I am pretty ignorant in the topic.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X