Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8 + Mir Is Being Packaged Up For Debian

Phoronix: Unity 8 + Mir Is Being Packaged Up For Debian

Debian developer Mike Gabriel in cooperation with the UBports developers continuing to maintain Ubuntu Touch and Unity 8 are working to offer Unity 8 (and in turn, Mir) packages within Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! Unity 8 is the best DE ever created, i went back to macOS/Windows when Ubuntu switched to Gnome 3, once that Unity 8 is stable then i'm ready to use it as a desktop OS

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
      Finally! Unity 8 is the best DE ever created, i went back to macOS/Windows when Ubuntu switched to Gnome 3, once that Unity 8 is stable then i'm ready to use it as a desktop OS
      sadly, it won't have HUD, perfect use of space by integrating server sided menus and window controlls is still there

if server sided menus is correct term

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
        if server sided menus is correct term
        The ones embedded on the window decoration are called "locally integrated menus", as per Unity 7 settings.

Comment

I don't use Ubuntu but I actually liked Unity, it was nicer than their customized GNOME IMO. Interesting DE. I hope they do even better this time.

Comment

Is there even a decent Linux Tablet these days?

Seems like with all the hype around the Linux Phone, the Linux Tablet has faded out of the spotlight and I can't even think of a device worth buying off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
              I don't use Ubuntu but I actually liked Unity, it was nicer than their customized GNOME IMO. Interesting DE. I hope they do even better this time.
              Aside from the "nicer than Gnome" statement, which is debatable, Unity's performance was terrible. Yes, even Gnome back then when it was horrible was still much better than Unity in terms of performance. I remember pressing the window spread shortcut and waiting around two seconds or even more before the spread animation actually starts, and that was on a very powerful Oryx Pro machine. I don't dare imagining how it performed on low end machines.

Let's hope Unity 8 solves those issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Is there even a decent Linux Tablet these days?

Seems like with all the hype around the Linux Phone, the Linux Tablet has faded out of the spotlight and I can't even think of a device worth buying off the top of my head.
                Since Linux is a kernel and not an OS, then yes, lots of very nice Android and Kindle tablets available. Cheap too!

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Aside from the "nicer than Gnome" statement, which is debatable, Unity's performance was terrible. Yes, even Gnome back then when it was horrible was still much better than Unity in terms of performance. I remember pressing the window spread shortcut and waiting around two seconds or even more before the spread animation actually starts, and that was on a very powerful Oryx Pro machine. I don't dare imagining how it performed on low end machines.

Let's hope Unity 8 solves those issues.
                  Agreed

Comment

I was a huge fan of Unity 7 pretty much from the beginning. I have gotten used to gnome-shell by now, but if Unity 8 is anything like Unity 7, I might switch if it feels like it's in a usable state.

Comment

Working...
                    X