Qt 5.15 Feature Development Is Over For This Last Step Of The Qt5 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.15 Feature Development Is Over For This Last Step Of The Qt5 Series

Phoronix: Qt 5.15 Feature Development Is Over For This Last Step Of The Qt5 Series

Just as scheduled, earlier this month the feature freeze went into effect for Qt 5.15 as the last major step for Qt5 before seeing Qt 6.0 hopefully arrive towards the end of the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Qt 5.15, as the last Qt 5 LTS release, is likely to be around and supported for at least a decade, depending on the details of how much existing functionality and APIs end up being removed or changed in Qt 6 (In theory the Qt project learned a lesson regarding the Qt4 to Qt5 changes that made moving forward a substantial effort for some larger projects, and have stated they want to make the transition from Qt5 to Qt6 much less impactful, but we shall see).

Comment

GTK doesnt even have LTS. How is anyone supposed to take that toolkit serious for professional and corporate work?

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
        GTK doesnt even have LTS. How is anyone supposed to take that toolkit serious for professional and corporate work?
        Well, since Gnome is the default Desktop Environment for RHEL and CentOS, those of us who develop for those professional corporate platforms do, in fact, take GTK seriously.

Which has both little and everything to do with Qt. Qt is a cross-platform toolkit, but is not itself a Desktop -- although KDE is built upon it, and LXQT. I use neither of those, and develop projects using Qt on Gnome and Xfce. Qt's cross-platforms include Windows, Android, and many surviving Unixes in addition to Linux. Not without it's quirks, Qt is nevertheless quite capable, goes far beyond Gui's, is straightforward to learn, and usually a pleasure to work with.

That is, it's a pleasure for those who take pleasure working with C++

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
          GTK 2.24, first released in 2011, is still getting updates.

GTK 3.22, released in 2016, is still getting updates. If you even read the release notes (https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-.../msg00006.html) it states.

GTK+ 3.22 will be maintained as the long-term stable version of GTK+ 3,
          If you're going to troll, at least do a quick Google search first.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
            That is, it's a pleasure for those who take pleasure working with C++
            Let's not forget its good Python support (which Gtk also has of course).

Comment

Originally posted by damonlynch View Post

Let's not forget its good Python support (which Gtk also has of course).
              Heh, just noticed during the weekend when trying to follow the pipx install guide for the gdbgui python folks managed to break even "pip" in their 10.0 version by removing the main... Googled and found out lot of similar errors and solution was basically to use workaround with venv so that you can install older python version in paraller to non-working one.

Comment

Well, this is a linux forum but here I have to admit, I use Qt for Windows desktop applications. It looks native and does decent job.

Comment

I love QT. Fast, Cross-platform, and can be themed to look like anything.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                    Well, this is a linux forum but here I have to admit, I use Qt for Windows desktop applications. It looks native and does decent job.
                    That is basically what 90% of Qt users use it for. As a better Windows API.

Comment

Working...
                    X