Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL Threading "GLTHREAD" Seeing Improvements For Mesa 20.1

Phoronix: OpenGL Threading "GLTHREAD" Seeing Improvements For Mesa 20.1

Well known open-source AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D driver developer Marek Olšák has been focusing recently on improvements to glthread for OpenGL threading that is generally able to offer better performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glthread for display lists? Don't tell me any game has been using display lists in the last ten years. Display lists are such an outdated GL feature that hopefully all games ever made with it already run fast enough on a single thread on today's computers.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
      Glthread for display lists? Don't tell me any game has been using display lists in the last ten years. Display lists are such an outdated GL feature that hopefully all games ever made with it already run fast enough on a single thread on today's computers.
      So what? Optimization is not about "duh i can run it on my modern pc why optimize?" but "if i can run it faster, why wouldn't i?". People play old video games all the time, and they can play them even faster + conserve energy and/or play on outdated hardware or why not mobile hardware... The possibilities are endless, so why not optimize it if they can and is not that costly in terms of developer work?

Comment

I know what you're saying but there's a lot of games today that do things the old fashioned way because some people can't get enough of it.

Personally, I would prefer all games to be AAA quality and not use old tools but that's just me.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        and is not that costly in terms of developer work?
        I have an unfinished UE4 project sitting with ray tracing and it hasn't been costly in terms of development work at all. Its all relative as to how you do things.

Example, you don't even need to create texture but use texture packs or free ones. Just all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.
        Last edited by ix900; 21 March 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

...enabling the functionality for the title "From The Depths" - aaaaah it is too good to be true! Thank you Marek!

Comment

Originally posted by Kepsz View Post
            ...enabling the functionality for the title "From The Depths" - aaaaah it is too good to be true! Thank you Marek!
            You know, you could always enable GL threading manually per title yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

You know, you could always enable GL threading manually per title yourself.
              I haven't thought about it, because FTD is runs just as well on Linux as it does on Windows. However, this development may come in handy for extremely large creations when the game is already suffering.

Comment

phoronix You forgot to report another huge patchset from mareko : glDraw and VBO optimization.

A follow up to the VBO & CSO optimization series. The focus is on gl(Multi)Draw and glBegin/End performance with some fixes and cleanups.

The original description said something like 35-50% performance increase for ViewPerf11 Catia scene1, with a further 7% increase with another MR:
                There is a driconf option allow_draw_out_of_order to enable this. The improvement is only 7% in Viewperf11/Catia/test1 after all the other optimizations were merged. It's still...

I would like to see a benchmark run between Mesa 20.0 and 20.1 for SPECViewPerf11 and SPECViewPerf13...

Comment

Hopefully, Mesa 20.1 will make it "soon-ish" into the upcoming Fedora/Ubuntu releases. It's a shame you usually need to wait for the next version to get an updated Mesa (I know you can use repos, but it's not the best solution, at least for me).
                  BTW, thank you Marek and all the other developers for your work on Mesa. Can't wait to finally switch to an AMD gpu.

Comment

You're probably happy with the boot time, too? So annoying when they keep optimizing stuff when they shouldn't - I mean, there's plenty of room for slowing down every algorithm and adding bloat everywhere for no apparent reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X