Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 Will NOT Ship With The Linux 2.6.29 Kernel

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 Will NOT Ship With The Linux 2.6.29 Kernel

Ubuntu 9.04, the next Linux operating system release due out by Canonical in April, will not be shipping with the Linux 2.6.29 kernel like many had hoped for. The feature freeze for the Jaunty Jackalope is not until next week and the Linux 2.6.29 kernel will certainly be released by April (right now it's at -rc4 stage), but Canonical's kernel team has decided to stick with using the current Linux 2.6.28 stable series. The Linux 2.6.28 kernel was released back in December, but the 2.6.29 kernel is introducing mainline support for Btrfs, Intel kernel mode-setting support, and various other new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see no real reason to use 2.6.29 right now. In order to let an os install the kernel has to support the hd controller, everything else like some sound problems or lan could be solved with a later update. Well most lan adapters should also work with 2.6.28 - a very new Asrock G31M-GS onboard nic (r8169) needs for example 2.6.28 to work. But when the system is installed, just compile whatever kernel you want to use if you are not satisfied. Just don't forget about the initrd when root=UUID=... is used -> update-initramfs -c -k KERNEL_VER.

Comment

I've been using 2.6.29 on F10 (they already have test packages) due to wifi problems, and looked like a great kernel to me. Not sure the Ubuntu folks really know what they are doing kernel wise, of course

Comment

I'm happy that they stay with 2.6.28. It's new enough and the last time it was only an exeption.

Comment

The question is, are there any significant changes to Ext4 support between 2.6.28 and 2.6.29? Several users have reported instability with Ext4 in the current kernel.

Comment

I was looking forward to new and shiny :-) ... but don't know the pros/cons one way or the other so can't judge. (I am looking forward to all the great graphic advances of late both on Intel's side and Gallium3d to making their way into the wild)

Comment

What a pitty.. i would really liked to see .29 in 9.04, because .28 has a Bug , so that my whole USB Bus freezes, when i use USB mass storgage devices. And this is fixed in .29, which im using allready with 8.10

Comment

Damn, really wanted the new kernel. Guess its to compiling again. Oh well, at least now AMD won't have excuses not to have a working driver for this release.

Comment

But the 2.6.28 kernel is more stable and tested, the 2.6.29 kernel will only be ~3 weeks tested.

Also, the Ubuntu Kernel Team is backporting (in all the releases they do that) many changes from .29 to .28

The kernel in Jaunty is the latest stable, 2.6.28.4, with many ext4 fixes http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...7.20/changelog

If someone needs a newer kernel, like Kano says, they can compile it in some minutes. There are many guides to compile kernels, and sure there is a repo (maybe PPA) for new kernels.

Comment

Once Debian releases on Feb. 14... next year, I expect testing will be moving to the 2.6.29 kernel, I'm happy not having to wait for Ubuntu's "scheduled" release to get the latest stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X