Intel Landing More Driver Work Needed For Discrete GPU Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Landing More Driver Work Needed For Discrete GPU Linux Support

Phoronix: Intel Landing More Driver Work Needed For Discrete GPU Linux Support

Landing today in Mesa 20.1-devel were some of the OpenGL/Vulkan-side driver changes needed as part of Intel's road to bringing up discrete Xe GPU support under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really curious to see how these cards will perform.

Comment

Somewhat unrelated but I feel compelled to mention it; the CSGO_linux64 performance with mesa-git is really good right now.
      with a 6-core Ryzen 3500X CPU, R9 390 & AMDGPU, my Arch Linux system is outperforming Win10 by 10-20% (dual-boot, same hardware)

also a texture blending bug was fixed with mesa stable 20.0.4 not long ago

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        Really curious to see how these cards will perform.
        I'm more thrilled about the security vulnerabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post
          Somewhat unrelated but I feel compelled to mention it; the CSGO_linux64 performance with mesa-git is really good right now.
          with a 6-core Ryzen 3500X CPU, R9 390 & AMDGPU, my Arch Linux system is outperforming Win10 by 10-20% (dual-boot, same hardware)

also a texture blending bug was fixed with mesa stable 20.0.4 not long ago
          Is this OpenGL or does CSGO have a Vulkan renderer? It seems my R9 380 can play the Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood (both OpenGL) with kernel 5.6 and mesa 20.0 much faster than the Windows 10 driver. I do use glthread with those games. I can play them at max settings at 1680x1050 and they are smooth as butter, i am amazed because on Windows those games ran clunky for me.

Comment

AMD's OpenGL driver for Windows has never been really great. They have always focused on DirectX and for some time Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Is this OpenGL or does CSGO have a Vulkan renderer? It seems my R9 380 can play the Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood (both OpenGL) with kernel 5.6 and mesa 20.0 much faster than the Windows 10 driver. I do use glthread with those games. I can play them at max settings at 1680x1050 and they are smooth as butter, i am amazed because on Windows those games ran clunky for me.
              CSGO is GL only on Linux, it also benefits from glthread.

how are you running those games? interesting that even the more GPU-heavy titles can see an improvement

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post

CSGO is GL only on Linux, it also benefits from glthread.

how are you running those games? interesting that even the more GPU-heavy titles can see an improvement
                The Wolfenstein games are windows only so you have to use WINE or Proton. I didn't need to use any extra configuration to play those 2. I used the GOG versions using the latest lutris WINE build.

Comment

Working...
                X