No announcement yet.

Intel Working On Slim Bootloader Integration Improvements For The Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Working On Slim Bootloader Integration Improvements For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Intel Working On Slim Bootloader Integration Improvements For The Linux Kernel

Slim Bootloader is the open-source initiative Intel announced in Q3'2018 for providing a very bare bones BSD-licensed open-source firmware implementation. We're now seeing new Linux patches for improving the integration with the Slim Bootloader...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! So now I can boot with slim and then login to my DE with slim...

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
      Awesome! So now I can boot with slim and then login to my DE with slim...
      i think this project is meant to boot the firmware not the OS, so it should be a replacement of a part of the closed UEFI subsystem with something more FOSS friendly, kinda like Power do

Comment

Too bad it only boots embedded devices and not any desktop PCs. 😥️

Comment

I wish someone who knew what they were doing could replace GRUB with an EFI emulator so the only difference between BIOS and UEFI systems would be the addition of the EFI emulator and, I dunno, I suppose a 10mb over a 2mb bios boot partition to hide the emulator in.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            [...]and, I dunno, I suppose a 10mb over a 2mb bios boot partition to hide the emulator in.
            I think that would anger a lot of diehard Linux users who don't want to 'waste' such space lol

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Too bad it only boots embedded devices and not any desktop PCs. 😥️
              I hope this project just stays at the level of booting embedded devices, but the concept of "scope creep" happens when you don't keep an eye on things.

"Standards are nice. We have so many!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

I hope this project just stays at the level of booting embedded devices, but the concept of "scope creep" happens when you don't keep an eye on things.

"Standards are nice. We have so many!"
                Yeah, but I want to boot my desktop PC with all free, open source software and without any proprietary software and binary blobs.

Comment

Working...
                X