Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04's Server Installer Sees Last Minute Work To Better Handle Linux RAID Installs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04's Server Installer Sees Last Minute Work To Better Handle Linux RAID Installs

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04's Server Installer Sees Last Minute Work To Better Handle Linux RAID Installs

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is due for release on Thursday and it's seen a last minute upgrade to its "Subiquity" server installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But the installer gets upgraded on use now, doesn't it? So it's not like with DI, which would be stuck on the version that was available at the time of the ISO release? It's good that they keep improving it.

Comment

So, UFI sucks by itself and it sucks even more because it doesn't support the VFAT partition on top of a simple RAID setup.

I honestly gave up on EFI boot! The legacy BIOS is far superior because it allows me to have a single primary partition and a RAID1, with the /boot within the RAID1 and 2 devices booting up perfectly.

Sync the vfat with another vfat via cronjob stinks. It's a workaround for an EFI-only problem!

My simpler setup is usually (can't be done with EFI!!!):

MBR type, /dev/sda1 + /dev/sdb1 (2 primary parts, one on each device) with /dev/md0 using sda1 and sdb1 as RAID1 (Ubuntu root "/" is mounted on /dev/md0).

That's it, my sweet spot! 2 identical bootable devices, 1 part on each, 1 raid1 on top of them, grub on both MBRs, done.

Sometimes I do create /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 as swap partitions and move the /dev/md0 to two /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2, otherwise, the swapfile will end up on top of a raid1, which might be undesirable. sometimes I prefer 2 big swap spaces on good SSD devices.

I would love to do this with ZFS though but, no idea how. Of course, without EFI crap.
      Last edited by ThiagoCMC; 23 April 2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X