Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Fix Is Out For The Intel Ice Lake Performance Drop On Linux With The Dell XPS 7390

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fix Is Out For The Intel Ice Lake Performance Drop On Linux With The Dell XPS 7390

Phoronix: A Fix Is Out For The Intel Ice Lake Performance Drop On Linux With The Dell XPS 7390

Earlier this week I highlighted the Dell XPS 7390 "Ice Lake" ultrabook seeing a big performance drop on recent versions of the Linux kernel. Intel engineers seem to have sorted it out and now have a solution in place, which affects those running Linux 5.4 or newer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The logic in the given explanation makes my brain cramp. Over engineer thermald so it doesn't accept an "invalid" thermal/power entry from the kernel... but don't fix the incorrect entries in the kernel's ACPI tables that are causing the problem to begin with... Then the question is how does thermald know if what's coming from the kernel is invalid, as information out of the kernel is supposed to be canonical. Why does this smell like an Intel solution?

Or am I reading this wrong and the kernel is picking up incorrect values off the hardware and passing them to thermald?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      Or am I reading this wrong and the kernel is picking up incorrect values off the hardware and passing them to thermald?
      I believe the tables are in firmware, so the kernel is just reading the values.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
        binary debacle
        Made my day.

Comment

Simple fix and do not use thermald, use
          Code:
           /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
          and
          Code:
          scaling_max_freq
          and rapl limits
          Code:
          cat /etc/tmpfiles.d/power_limit.conf
          w /sys/devices/virtual/powercap/intel-rapl-mmio/intel-rapl-mmio:0/constraint_0_power_limit_uw - - - - 35000000
          Last edited by Shtirlic; 25 April 2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

So.. Dell needs to fix its buggy BIOS/EFI?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Pretty much; but I'm not holding my breath. That being said, a BIOS update went out on March 26th for the 2-in-1s that fixed one of the RAPL counters going away after a reboot, and may have fixed this issue, too.

... and now I know why I wasn't affected, as I'd put in the other thread; my 7390 2-in-1's thermal solution works well enough on it's own that I "systemctl mask"ed out thermald a long time ago, and even use a utility called "Throttled" to bump up the max Tdp when on AC.

Comment

So intel is having to jump through all sorts of hoops to avoid getting blamed for sub-optimal ${VENDOR} UEFI settings/QA?

Wow. That's ... a bit unfair, isn't it?

Comment

No doubt. Maybe Intel didn't trust that would happen. Or Intel is acting like a parent of not-too-bright children and just coding away the consequences in case vendors screw up like that in future.

Comment

Eh, I'll bet Dell/Intel are like "Hey- it works in Windows; ship it!" ... and TBH, I get it.

Comment

Working...
                    X