No announcement yet.

Intel Volleys Latest Patches For Lighting Up Their DG1 Graphics Card On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Volleys Latest Patches For Lighting Up Their DG1 Graphics Card On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Volleys Latest Patches For Lighting Up Their DG1 Graphics Card On Linux

Building off the existing Gen12 graphics driver support that has accumulated in the Linux kernel and Mesa over the past year, last month Intel sent out the open-source patches for supporting the DG1 graphics card on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will this card come with a hardware video decoder/encoder as well?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Until it actually ships, all we have is leaks and hints, but the current docs (on the readme at https://github.com/intel/media-driver for the TGL part) suggests hardware decode support for most of the usual suspects (VP8 excepted), and encode support for a substantial subset.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I would also guess yes. Intel has a lot of experience in this field, because of all the iGPU devices. It would be stupid to not put the few transistors onto the chip - this must be more of a copy paste job for them.
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 June 2020, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I'm hoping we get confirmation that it supports GVT-G, if it does it'll be a huge disruptor for a lot of virtualization workloads.

Comment

I really hope actual discrete GPUs from Intel materialize soon, and not just "notebook chips" or iGPUs for upcoming CPUs.
            The now multi-year investment congestion on updating my hardware just because I cannot buy any discrete GPU supported by a stable open source driver really has to come to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
              I really hope actual discrete GPUs from Intel materialize soon, and not just "notebook chips" or iGPUs for upcoming CPUs.
              The now multi-year investment congestion on updating my hardware just because I cannot buy any discrete GPU supported by a stable open source driver really has to come to an end.
              I am now running Vega cards on two Linux systems and a Radeon Pro WX 7100 on another one. They all work great.

I'm sure there's some weird corner case you have that I've never run into but I'd bet you the Intel drivers for these new cards of theirs are going to be broken in so many ways, at least for the first year.

Comment

I really hope Lenovo pushes out a Thinkpad with a good 8 core processor and a Xe graphics card for running either OpenBSD or FreeBSD on. If they do it will probably be my next laptop. That or AMDGPU support gets squared away in the *BSD world better than it already is.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                  I really hope Lenovo pushes out a Thinkpad with a good 8 core processor and a Xe graphics card for running either OpenBSD or FreeBSD on. If they do it will probably be my next laptop. That or AMDGPU support gets squared away in the *BSD world better than it already is.
                  I learned the hard way that if you want something done, you need to do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by simcop2387 View Post
                    I'm hoping we get confirmation that it supports GVT-G, if it does it'll be a huge disruptor for a lot of virtualization workloads.
                    I hope so as well, that would mean getting rid of AMD cards in all of my servers in favour to Intel ones.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X