KDE Developers Beating The Summer Heat By Fixing Up Recent Regressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Beating The Summer Heat By Fixing Up Recent Regressions

Phoronix: KDE Developers Beating The Summer Heat By Fixing Up Recent Regressions

This week KDE developers have seen a lot of bug and regression fixes materialize for Plasma and other components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it a bug that picking Breeze Dark from Global Theme doesn't set Breeze Dark for GTK2/3 programs?

My first thought was to select Breeze Dark from the GTK2/3 theme picker, but only GTK2 had Breeze Dark. That's when I realized that the plain Breeze Plasma Style follows the selected color scheme and using that did get GTK3 programs to show up as Breeze Dark.

Perhaps if the Breeze Dark Global was set to use the Color Scheme version of Breeze Plasma Style this wouldn't be an issue.

Did an unofficial install of Neon 20.04 and that was the first thing I noticed since I prefer dark themes. By unofficial, I mean I installed Ubuntu 20.04 and then added Neon's sources.list (user version of 20.04). The Neon installer didn't have the ZFS install option.

Comment

Is it a bug that picking Breeze Dark from Global Theme doesn't set Breeze Dark for GTK2/3 programs?
      Yes, and it's fixed - that was in last week's list.

Applying a Global Theme now also changes the colors appropriately for GTK applications (Mikhail Zolotukhin, Plasma 5.19.4)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

My first thought was to select Breeze Dark from the GTK2/3 theme picker, but only GTK2 had Breeze Dark. That's when I realized that the plain Breeze Plasma Style follows the selected color scheme and using that did get GTK3 programs to show up as Breeze Dark.

Perhaps if the Breeze Dark Global was set to use the Color Scheme version of Breeze Plasma Style this wouldn't be an issue.

Did an unofficial install of Neon 20.04 and that was the first thing I noticed since I prefer dark themes. By unofficial, I mean I installed Ubuntu 20.04 and then added Neon's sources.list (user version of 20.04). The Neon installer didn't have the ZFS install option.
        Big mistake. Last I tried it, even installing KDE on top of Ubuntu from official Ubuntu repos broke things left and right. Icons, colors, stuff became unreadable because of lack of contrast... Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Big mistake. Last I tried it, even installing KDE on top of Ubuntu from official Ubuntu repos broke things left and right. Icons, colors, stuff became unreadable because of lack of contrast... Never again.
          While the Wayland session was a bit wonky, it had this taskbar flickering effect and the settings program kept crashing, the X11 session is as stable as ever. No problems at all. If I do get problems I can revert to the previous snapshot which is why I did the Ubuntu ZFS install and slapped Neon on top of it versus just installing Neon. All I did was add Neon's list, did the standard apt update & upgrade routine, and installed the neon-desktop meta package (and picked sddm when prompted).

Did you happen to install KDE manually (not via the meta package) or in some way that may have pulled in some of Ubuntu's packages relating to KDE?

I ask because when I was browsing Synaptic before installing KDE I noticed some major version discrepancies between what Neon and Ubuntu have so I can easily see some issues occurring if for some reason the older packages that Ubuntu/Kubuntu have get pulled in instead of the stuff from Neon.

FLHerne Thanks. I didn't see that when I glanced at their bug tracker earlier today.

Comment

I hope that the virtual keyboard works soon again on Wayland. Not beeing able to type something without attaching a physical keyboard is not so much fun.

Comment

While the Wayland session was a bit wonky, it had this taskbar flickering effect and the settings program kept crashing, the X11 session is as stable as ever. No problems at all. If I do get problems I can revert to the previous snapshot which is why I did the Ubuntu ZFS install and slapped Neon on top of it versus just installing Neon. All I did was add Neon's list, did the standard apt update & upgrade routine, and installed the neon-desktop meta package (and picked sddm when prompted).

Did you happen to install KDE manually (not via the meta package) or in some way that may have pulled in some of Ubuntu's packages relating to KDE?

I ask because when I was browsing Synaptic before installing KDE I noticed some major version discrepancies between what Neon and Ubuntu have so I can easily see some issues occurring if for some reason the older packages that Ubuntu/Kubuntu have get pulled in instead of the stuff from Neon.

FLHerne Thanks. I didn't see that when I glanced at their bug tracker earlier today.
              Well, I didn't install Neon at the time, just whatever KDE packages were in Ubuntu's repo. Work computer pre-installed with Ubuntu, I figured I would get KDE the easy way. Ended up formatting and installing Kubuntu, of course (don't ask why not Neon, I don't remember).

Comment

Well, I didn't install Neon at the time, just whatever KDE packages were in Ubuntu's repo. Work computer pre-installed with Ubuntu, I figured I would get KDE the easy way. Ended up formatting and installing Kubuntu, of course (don't ask why not Neon, I don't remember).
                Lol. Just saying screw it and pulling the trigger. That's what I'd have done back in my 20s. Being (slightly) older than that now, I browsed the various packages with Synaptic, made a backup, and then said screw it and pulled the trigger

The only reason I didn't go with straight-up Neon is because it uses the Calamares installer and I like backup and restore strategies in regards to rolling software. Since Calamares is really bare bones, it makes it harder to impossible to replicate the more advanced file system setups like what's offered with Ubuntu or SUSE with ZFS or BTRFS.

Comment

Lol. Just saying screw it and pulling the trigger. That's what I'd have done back in my 20s. Being (slightly) older than that now, I browsed the various packages with Synaptic, made a backup, and then said screw it and pulled the trigger

The only reason I didn't go with straight-up Neon is because it uses the Calamares installer and I like backup and restore strategies in regards to rolling software. Since Calamares is really bare bones, it makes it harder to impossible to replicate the more advanced file system setups like what's offered with Ubuntu or SUSE with ZFS or BTRFS.
                  Honestly, neither Kubuntu nor Neon cut it for me. I've been on Arch for a while and couldn't be happier about the way KDE is delivered. In hindsight, I could have used Manjaro (or something else that comes with an installer), but figuring out stuff was fun, too. System is as snappy as it can, I'm getting almost everything in a couple of days after release (what takes longer is stuff I added from AURs). But I do feel the deb/rpm ecosystems have more stuff readily available. I'll be sticking to Arch for years to come.

Comment

Honestly, neither Kubuntu nor Neon cut it for me. I've been on Arch for a while and couldn't be happier about the way KDE is delivered. In hindsight, I could have used Manjaro (or something else that comes with an installer), but figuring out stuff was fun, too. System is as snappy as it can, I'm getting almost everything in a couple of days after release (what takes longer is stuff I added from AURs). But I do feel the deb/rpm ecosystems have more stuff readily available. I'll be sticking to Arch for years to come.
                    While I used to be pretty gung-ho about Manjaro, I'm less-so these days...not sure why exactly. When my SSD came in yesterday afternoon Manjaro is what I installed first. Just went with the defaults, but after a couple of hours, I dunno, I just wasn't feeling it. So I threw on Ubuntu after I saw that article Michael wrote yesterday about how he's digging it with his laptop but I couldn't get used to GNOME so I threw Neon on top of that and that's where I'm at now. I have mixed feelings about it.

Full disclosure -- I did the Manjaro install after I was done working a full day in the sun in 95F, 107F index, temperatures. Needless to say, I really wasn't in the mood to do an install the Arch way. I'm still not. I hate humidity

Except for now with Zsys, which is freakin sweet, Ubuntu really hasn't cut it for me since the 6.10 days so I totally get where you're coming from. Always came across articles about SNES emulators and PS3 controllers and whatnot and jumped ship when I realized I was waiting years at a time for some of those neat things I'd read about to finally trickle down.

For the past 8+ years I could have been one of those BTW, I use Arch assholes so you don't have to tell me the merits of Arch and the AUR

Comment

Working...
                    X