Linux To Allow Limiting Tiger Lake SoC PL4 Package Maximum Power Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux To Allow Limiting Tiger Lake SoC PL4 Package Maximum Power Limit

Phoronix: Linux To Allow Limiting Tiger Lake SoC PL4 Package Maximum Power Limit

Intel has been preparing "Power Limit4" support for their Linux PowerCap driver that is being rolled out for the forthcoming Tiger Lake SoCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

interestingly there is no code for PL3 at all, it goes straight from PL2 to PL4

Comment

Wait.......does this mean we can change the max. TDP? Say if the SoC supports a max..of 25W, but my laptop's manufacturer limited it to 15W, can I use this to change the limit to 25W?

Or is it just that I can make the power limit less than the 15W set by my laptop's manufacturer?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
        Wait.......does this mean we can change the max. TDP? Say if the SoC supports a max..of 25W, but my laptop's manufacturer limited it to 15W, can I use this to change the limit to 25W?

Or is it just that I can make the power limit less than the 15W set by my laptop's manufacturer?
        Don't do that. Cooling of the CPU/SoC is insufficient and also VRM (power components) cooling or size is insufficient for stable operation if you go beyond design limits like that.

This is also the reason hacking AMD APUs for laptops to run at 35w instead than 15w has never been a thing, the hardware won't survive it.

Comment

Well, there are some things we can do about cooling. Better thermal paste (liquid metal), undervolting and a few other tricks. If that's all that's standing in the way......

Comment

Working...
          X