Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS Support Merged Into Mainline FreeBSD

Phoronix: OpenZFS Support Merged Into Mainline FreeBSD

Following ongoing work for over a year on moving to OpenZFS for FreeBSD's ZFS file-system support, FreeBSD HEAD overnight has imported the OpenZFS code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Seeing one OS get support, I can't help but wonder how long it'll be until the OSX and Windows versions of OpenZFS get out of alpha/beta state because it'll be a great day when my data mirror is usable on all the major operating systems.

Comment

Definitely something to look forward to in the FreeBSD 13 release. I was just wondering yesterday how the OpenZFS merge process was going. Timely blurb.

Comment

This is great, lots of features in that and it unifies the pool versions with Linux.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Nice. Seeing one OS get support, I can't help but wonder how long it'll be until the OSX and Windows versions of OpenZFS get out of alpha/beta state because it'll be a great day when my data mirror is usable on all the major operating systems.
        MacOS had this version and the added features a year ago or more, It's stable but not fully where they want it. (They want support in Disk Utility and MacOS Installer support, it shows up now in Disk Utility but doesn't work quite right) From the command line, MacOS's version seems just fine.

With Windows I have no idea the big feat is that it will blue screen though more so than it will lose data, it's still ZFS and so it moves it state transitionally from one consistent state to another.
        Last edited by k1e0x; 25 August 2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
          With Windows I have no idea the big feat is that it will blue screen though more so than it will lose data, it's still ZFS and so it moves it state transitionally from one consistent state to another.
          Not really, if the driver itself is buggy or unstable you can lose data even if the filesystem is CoW.
          Just ask Btrfs, or XFS experimental CoW.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            The big difference between Linux/FreeBSD and macOS/Windows when it comes to OpenZFS development, is that there are no organizations driving OpenZFS on macOS or Windows. The work of on-boarding FreeBSD was primarily done by iXsystems who have full-time developers working on FreeBSD and OpenZFS as their products depend on it. On the other hand OpenZFS development for macOS and Windows consists of pretty much one contributor who does it in his spare time.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
              On the other hand OpenZFS development for macOS and Windows consists of pretty much one contributor who does it in his spare time.
              * one for MacOS and one for Windows you dirty hater, that's twice, twice of the developer power you said.

(sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                * one for MacOS and one for Windows
                Actually it's just one developer, Jorgen Lundman, who is the primary contributor to both ZFS on Windows and ZFS on macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                  This is great, lots of features in that and it unifies the pool versions with Linux.
                  Now we just need a bootloader capable of booting FreeBSD & Linux from the same pool. I'm guessing that would be Clover unless someone builds something more ZFS specific.

MacOS had this version and the added features a year ago or more, It's stable but not fully where they want it. (They want support in Disk Utility and MacOS Installer support, it shows up now in Disk Utility but doesn't work quite right) From the command line, MacOS's version seems just fine.

When I looked at the MacOS version I saw that it was still getting code commits but the releases have been lagging for quite a while whereas the Windows version has steady commits and releases. Not sure what to make of that, just something I noticed. Going by their checklist, the Windows version doesn't seem like it's too far off from being safe to use for my purposes of sharing games and multimedia between operating systems.

Also, anybody have any idea why they skipped 1.0? Is the answer as simple as "Fuck it, just bump it from 0.84 to 2.0.0"?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                    Actually it's just one developer, Jorgen Lundman, who is the primary contributor to both ZFS on Windows and ZFS on macOS.
                    Which is funny because the Windows git page is really thought out and the MacOS git page, well, isn't. The initial appearances can make one think they're done by two different people/groups.

Comment

Working...
                    X