Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINE 1.1.16 Released With New Improvements

Phoronix: WINE 1.1.16 Released With New Improvements

WINE 1.1.16 has been released this afternoon with a few improvements. Particularly, the development branch of WINE now has improved SANE scanner support, support for digital CD audio playback, improved cookies management in Wininet, support for building stand-alone 16-bit modules, and many fixes to the regression tests on Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Wine have a roadmap, or are they just fixing random bugs?

Comment

What about Wine64?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        Does Wine have a roadmap, or are they just fixing random bugs?
        Actually, the Wine's implementation is quite complete (i.e. there's not much stuff left to put into a roadmap). It's just finding some undocumented details in the Windows API which need to be implemented better.
        On the other hand, there are things like Win64 or D3D10 which are nowhere close to a release; these are primary requirements for Wine 1.2:

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          What about Wine64?
          I think there's not much work to do about that, especially as there aren't many people who like to build a GCC from SVN.
          However, after the base has been laid out, some developers are working on making the Wine tests run with Wine64. When these run as good as with Wine32 we'll already have quite a good Win64 implementation running.

Comment

It's worth noting that any bug fixed helps many apps... but in terms of new features, I'm personally looking forward to the GDI engine. I get the impression that will help many apps. (although I do wonder about the 16 bit dlls... where that is being used?)

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
              Actually, the Wine's implementation is quite complete (i.e. there's not much stuff left to put into a roadmap). It's just finding some undocumented details in the Windows API which need to be implemented better.
              On the other hand, there are things like Win64 or D3D10 which are nowhere close to a release; these are primary requirements for Wine 1.2:
              http://wiki.winehq.org/WineReleasePlan
              Does this mean that Wine support D3D 9 completely?

Comment

In fact, the D3D9 implementation is /quite/ complete. At least, there is no interface left to implement in Wine. It's only the details, some corner cases which only affect one application or so. Also, e.g. the conversion of D3D shaders to GLSL gives some troubles, especially performance-wise.
                The next problem is that some game developers don't follow the API rules by themselves and thus the Windows graphics drivers have to hardcode some scenarios to make the games render at all. Wine doesn't do such things, yet, which could also prevent some games from working.

Nothing much we can do something about though, the problem is more in actually finding these details than in fixing Wine behavior for them.

EDIT: oh well, and perhaps there are also things which aren't supported by Linux drivers or the Linux driver stack itself but are in Windows, which need to be emulated or aren't emulated at all.
                Last edited by NeoBrain; 01 March 2009, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X