Fedora 33 To Stick With systemd-resolved Following Last Minute Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 33 To Stick With systemd-resolved Following Last Minute Concerns

Phoronix: Fedora 33 To Stick With systemd-resolved Following Last Minute Concerns

One of the fundamental changes with Fedora 33 is making use of systemd-resolved by default for network name resolution. A number of users testing out Fedora 33 on desktops and servers have run into various issues with systemd-resolved and sought to revert and delay this default behavioral change until a later release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Surprised it took them this long.

Comment

You'd hope that by now systemd-resolved would actually, you know, work properly - but you'd be naive to expect any bugs to ever get fixed, unless they affect Pottering personally.

Still, you'd expect any competent sysadmin to know how to swap it out, so for as long as that remains an option what Fedora ships with doesn't really matter anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
        You'd hope that by now systemd-resolved would actually, you know, work properly - but you'd be naive to expect any bugs to ever get fixed, unless they affect Pottering personally.

Still, you'd expect any competent sysadmin to know how to swap it out, so for as long as that remains an option what Fedora ships with doesn't really matter anyway.
        tldr I don't like Pottering

Comment

Hm, they should really fix those bugs before trying to push it through. I've been using it and it does seem to have had some problems lately. I also wish they'd get proper DNS over TLS support.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
            Fedora 33 To Stick With systemd-resolved Following Last Minute Concerns
            Another completely nonsensical title on Phoronix. It should read "Fedora to stick with systemd-resolved despite last minute concerns".

Comment

Good.

Software is hard. The proper way to deal with bugs is to expose and fix them, not sweep it under the rug.

Comment

...and even more importantly in servers. The switch to systemd-resolved breaks important uses cases for servers by not returning standard compliant answer to clients using the DNS protocol. Compliance with standards is a very basic requirement for any default system-wide resolver to have...
                So far I've found that systemd-resolved on the desktop is perfectly functional for pretty much all common use cases. So I'd be interested in hearing about these issues that were found on the desktop and which are supposedly so severe that they would warranty reverting systemd-resolved as the new default (pagure.io is currently down, so I can't read the bug ticket linked in the article).

Servers are a more serious case, but "competent sysadmins" are expected to be able to switch around the defaults as and when they please; and also Fedora isn't supposed to be a server distro anyway. So... who cares.

Comment

Wow. Doesn't happen to you so, therefore, the world doesn't exist.
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

So far I've found that systemd-resolved on the desktop is perfectly functional for pretty much all common use cases. So I'd be interested in hearing about these issues that were found on the desktop and which are supposedly so severe that they would warranty reverting systemd-resolved as the new default (pagure.io is currently down, so I can't read the bug ticket linked in the article).
                    I think it is that:

1. It doesnt support DOH yet. DOT is also off by default.
                    2. Old DNSSEC behaviour was to pass through all information even if DNSSEC validation failed (with the hope that the application will atleast consider the failures). Now it is off by default as that is considered broken behaviour.

There are a few others who disliked the default configuration, but those are mostly preferences as opposed to issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X