Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.21 To Bring Multi-GPU Support For Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.21 To Bring Multi-GPU Support For Wayland

KDE developers have been busy not only putting the finishing touches on the soon to be released Plasma 5.20 but also early feature work continues on what will be Plasma 5.21...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My reaction to this went in exactly this order:
    1. Why would kwin need multi GPU rendering?
    2. Of course this had to happen as I swapped out my 2x RTX 2080 Ti's for a single RTX 3090..!
    3. Ooooh, this is for multi GPU outputs, that's pretty cool!

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
      My reaction to this went in exactly this order:
      1. Why would kwin need multi GPU rendering?
      2. Of course this had to happen as I swapped out my 2x RTX 2080 Ti's for a single RTX 3090..!
      3. Ooooh, this is for multi GPU outputs, that's pretty cool!
      for laptop like mine, witch the igpu is with input screen and hdmi outups nvidia dgpu

Comment

Lots of nice little 5.20 improvements and the systemd startup integration in 5.21 may have me moving back to Tumbleweed from Fedora.

Comment

In my case it would be on an office pc, I have budget gpu in there that drives 3 monitors and use the igp to drive the other 2. Granted these cases are fairly niche but it would be great if working for me. Right now this already works on xorg but I would love to switch to wayland with my 5 monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
            Why would kwin need multi GPU rendering?
            Among other answers already given, this is probably needed for multiseat systems.

Comment

With Wayland is there another DE that works with multi gpu?

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
                In my case it would be on an office pc, I have budget gpu in there that drives 3 monitors and use the igp to drive the other 2.
                Out of curiousity how are you using 5 displays? What sort of career is that?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Out of curiousity how are you using 5 displays? What sort of career is that?
                  First let me state, I do not need 5 displays, I enjoy using them.
                  As for the job, a bit of everything at a company that builds websites. From frontend to sysadmin to tech support. One scenario where I use all 5 is comparing 2 browser windows + debuggers + having a chat open at the same time, often with source code editor and file manager as well. Most people at the company, use 3 displays some 4 and I use 5.
                  Using 5 allows for the luxury of having a lot of things side by side instead of messing around with split windows but I do agree going from 4 to 5 is mostly because I can and it benefits me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post

first let me state, i do not need 5 displays, i enjoy using them.
                    As for the job, a bit of everything at a company that builds websites. From frontend to sysadmin to tech support. One scenario where i use all 5 is comparing 2 browser windows + debuggers + having a chat open at the same time, often with source code editor and file manager as well. Most people at the company, use 3 displays some 4 and i use 5.
                    Using 5 allows for the luxury of having a lot of things side by side instead of messing around with split windows but i do agree going from 4 to 5 is mostly because i can and it benefits me a bit.
                    c o o l

Comment

Working...
                    X