Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.2.1 Desktop Released

Phoronix: KDE 4.2.1 Desktop Released

It has been just over a month since the release of KDE 4.2 and now the K Desktop Environment developers have released its first update. KDE 4.2.1 focuses on bug-fixes and other maintenance items...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't want to start a Gnome/KDE war, but how different are Gnome from KDE?

I haven't tried KDE for 8 years or so, and I remember back then, Gnome and KDE had the same features.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      I don't want to start a Gnome/KDE war, but how different are Gnome from KDE?

I haven't tried KDE for 8 years or so, and I remember back then, Gnome and KDE had the same features.
      Vastly different feeling. Both are neat to try out. Grab a livecd and take it for a 20 minute spin.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
        Vastly different feeling. Both are neat to try out. Grab a livecd and take it for a 20 minute spin.
        That could be fun.

Didn't knew that http://www.knoppix.net/ still existed.

Comment

Get the latest ISO from Klaus' official sites:

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            That could be fun.

Didn't knew that http://www.knoppix.net/ still existed.
            First distro in my live I even installed it :> If you want full-featured, great looking desktop environment just choose KDE4.

Comment

I also don't want to start a Gnome vs KDE war. I like both. I chose KDE 4 though over Gnome. It has this "elegant" feel to it. And it's much lighter on resources than Compiz.

I wonder if Gnome ever starts a 3.x plan to go against KDE 4. I find KDE 4 is the Linux desktop I've been waiting for all these years.

Comment

KDE 4.2.1 is out and application developers for KDE still have no finished HIG to go by: http://wiki.openusability.org/guidel....php/Main_Page

Atm I just see apps copying gnome's hig (diluting the purpose of kde) or making up their own, which are inconsistent across the desktop and don't give a unified experience (nevermind forcing the user to learn the ins and outs of each new interface).

I'm puzzled as to why are they disregarding it so much.

Comment

Why would they all need to look the same. They are made by different people with different goals, not every included app is aimed at the same kind of user.

Screw higs

Comment

I like the simplicity of Gnome but I prefer the features/look/customization of KDE. Either way, both get the job done and the best thing is that you can use both in the same system

Comment

Working...
                    X