Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.2 Released - Supports Linux In Jailed Environments, Better Hardware Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12.2 Released - Supports Linux In Jailed Environments, Better Hardware Support

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12.2 Released - Supports Linux In Jailed Environments, Better Hardware Support

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE is now available as the latest feature and bug fix update to the FreeBSD 12 platform ahead of the expected FreeBSD 13.0 release around the end of Q1-2021...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux in a jail? I guess like a virtual machine?

Comment

FreeBSD Subsystem for Linux?

Comment

FreeBSD-12.1 in past weeks updated Gnome ports/pkg to 3.38 and Gnome works well now. Hope, this will attract some interest to use this OS, especially for desktop computers.

Comment

Originally posted by deepclutch View Post
          FreeBSD-12.1 in past weeks updated Gnome ports/pkg to 3.38 and Gnome works well now. Hope, this will attract some interest to use this OS, especially for desktop computers.
          What's the Wayland status on FreeBSD? I will soon have a spare laptop to try it on.

Comment

The Sony Playstation 5 uses FreeBSD 12 btw in case you didn't know, not sure if v12.0.x or a newer version.

Comment

Congrats. I'm holding out for FreeBSD 13 for my next dip in the water. Wanting that native OpenZFS 2.0 working out of the box.

- A notice that beginning with FreeBSD 13.0, the default CPU type for i386 architecture builds will change from i486 to i686. In other words binaries for i386 will now require at least i686 class CPUs. Fortunately, i486/i586 processors still running modern software is increasingly rare. This change for FreeBSD 13.0 will be the final bump for their default i386 / x86 32-bit support.
              Are there seriously people running pre-Pentium CPUs from the 80s and early 90s? I don't normally like to go here, but y'all need to buy some new hardware. Like, there's this thing called a Raspberry Pi and for $50, they're $35 but you need some accessories and tax, but for $50 that'll run circles around your current setup.

Comment

Guys, add your hardware to the new hardware database by:
                Code:
                pkg install hw-probe
                hw-probe -all -upload
                See https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/n...systems.75651/

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Are there seriously people running pre-Pentium CPUs from the 80s and early 90s? I don't normally like to go here, but y'all need to buy some new hardware. Like, there's this thing called a Raspberry Pi and for $50, they're $35 but you need some accessories and tax, but for $50 that'll run circles around your current setup.
                  Not quite pre-Pentium, but I've got a Pentium Pro 200 system that I use occasionally. That said, currently I just use it to run Windows 9x era games. I've been toying with the idea of getting a QIC tape drive for it so I can dump old UNIX software that I sometimes come across. Having a modern OS would be nice for that. I have run NetBSD on it in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
                    Linux in a jail? I guess like a virtual machine?
                    A Jail is OS level virtualization VS. a vm that is hardware level virtualization. There is no second OS kernel and no hardware emulation in a Jail, so it runs without any performance impact or extra resources needed for a second OS. (Ie: You don't have to give it a fixed amount of ram and you can just run top from the host and see all the jail processes. But the guest can only see its own)

The jail punches out a "container" OS instance that smells and looks like a full system. You can log into it, get root, give it an IP, set cpu, ram, disk limits etc.. Think Docker basically. The difference between Jails and Docker is Jails were developed primarily for security, where as Docker (and other Linux containers) was created for development and deployment with security as a "to be added later" bullet point. Due to that Jails are much more hardened and baked into the system as a primary construct. Linux containers are kind of things cobbled together to resemble a container (namespace and cgroups) and are not considered secure. People typically run Docker on a VM, that kind of defeats the purpose.

Jails are also pretty old and invented this concept. Due to the containerization trend they are getting to be more popular now. Solaris Zones were inspired by Jails. (and thus Linux Containers) They go well with ZFS because ZFS can isolate the disk as images and make the jail images portable between a cluster of jail hosts. So you can just move a testing jail to a production host and run it with zfs send, like you would with a vm disk image but it's much faster since it's on the FS level and not the block level, small changes take only seconds to transfer.

If you'd like to play with them I'd recommend Bastille as a manager, as it's very docker'esque. https://bastillebsd.org/

As far as Linux in a jail goes, that is pretty exciting.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 28 October 2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X