Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Adding Hardware Privacy Driver For Linux

Phoronix: Dell Adding Hardware Privacy Driver For Linux

Beginning in Dell's 2021 laptop models they are providing hardware-based "privacy buttons" to disable microphone and camera support. In preparations for more Dell laptops coming to market with these buttons, a Dell privacy driver is being prepared for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

niiice. it's a start..

Comment

Wow. That is great. I knew I couldn't be the only one who didn't like accessorizing my laptops with electrical tape.

Comment

Weird that the hardware disabled the functionality but the software turns off the LED.
        Then how can you really know if its really turned off when the LED is off?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Weird that the hardware disabled the functionality but the software turns off the LED.
          Then how can you really know if its really turned off when the LED is off?
          For old people? Took awhile for me to explain the red light on the PS4 means off to my dad and he still doesn't like it. "Well if it's off it should be off. I don't want another f'n light in my room at night. And who TF wants that hibernate crap with the extra bright light?"

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

For old people? Took awhile for me to explain the red light on the PS4 means off to my dad and he still doesn't like it. "Well if it's off it should be off. I don't want another f'n light in my room at night. And who TF wants that hibernate crap with the extra bright light?"
            nice story. Sometimes Status LED are too bright (not speaking of the RGB crap) ...

This could be the starter for a low light emission distro. Turn everything off by default (LED's) - maybe some status leds not.
            catchy name "Dark Room Linux" and here we go.
            Last edited by CochainComplex; 04 November 2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I don't want a 'privacy button'. I want a switch that disconnects the power and data connections to the camera and a separate switch for the microphone. Preferably with a transparent cover so I can see the connections are discontinuous. It's fine if the PC can sense the state of the hardware switch, but the hardware disconnector should not be under software control. And while we are adding some switches, I'd like a hardware switch to disable writing firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                I don't want a 'privacy button'. I want a switch that disconnects the power and data connections to the camera and a separate switch for the microphone. Preferably with a transparent cover so I can see the connections are discontinuous. It's fine if the PC can sense the state of the hardware switch, but the hardware disconnector should not be under software control. And while we are adding some switches, I'd like a hardware switch to disable writing firmware.
                Christmas is just around the corner, maybe you can ask Santa for all that

Comment

If it can be controlled through software, it ain't secure enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                    Originally posted by Dovi View Post

Christmas is just around the corner, maybe you can ask Santa for all that
                    Tappity-tappity...tappity-tappity. <Send>.

Done (I asked for a pony too).

As a matter of interest, why do you think it is unreasonable to ask for such things, which enable improved user privacy and control?

Comment

Working...
                    X