Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Of The Features You Can Expect To See With Linux 5.11: Lots From AMD, Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Features You Can Expect To See With Linux 5.11: Lots From AMD, Intel

Phoronix: Some Of The Features You Can Expect To See With Linux 5.11: Lots From AMD, Intel

The Linux 5.10 kernel is expected to be released this Sunday that will in turn start the Linux 5.11 merge window. Based on the material queued so far into the various "-next" branches, here is a look at what should be on the table for this next major kernel release and come February will be the first major kernel release of 2021...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

5.10 and 5.11 reminds me of a lot 4.14 and 4.15. Back then it was like, "Yeah, 4.14 is LTS and nice and all, but 4.15 has muh graphics driver updates and more. Imma use that." To me, this feels the same. As nice as the new LTS is going to be, there's already a lot of spiffy stuff lined up all across the board for the next release that will benefit everyone from gamers to server admins.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      5.10 and 5.11 reminds me of a lot 4.14 and 4.15. Back then it was like, "Yeah, 4.14 is LTS and nice and all, but 4.15 has muh graphics driver updates and more. Imma use that." To me, this feels the same. As nice as the new LTS is going to be, there's already a lot of spiffy stuff lined up all across the board for the next release that will benefit everyone from gamers to server admins.
      Well that's the thing: if you want new/more features, that compromises stability.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Well that's the thing: if you want new/more features, that compromises stability.
        That's the thing, in a way I needed 4.15 for stability. It enabled PowerPlay for my 260x. My GPU was dying and 4.15 opened up the possibility of undervolting and underclocking it. Just woke up one day to a noisy VRM and it couldn't handle anything more intensive than a movie. Any game or real GPU load would crash it. I got three more months out of that card before it completely conked out...literally the day after I bought my 580 and got the tracking info. 4.15 gave me just enough time to save up for and buy a new GPU.

Comment

I remember reading that one of the upcoming kernels will have improvements for Polaris like 0 rpm. Is it 5.11 or 5.12?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            I remember reading that one of the upcoming kernels will have improvements for Polaris like 0 rpm. Is it 5.11 or 5.12?
            Not an expert, but 5.11 will have the needed power management support which allows for a full stop of your GPU fan if the card doesn't need to be cooled, if that's what "0 rpm" stands for then yes.
            I got a Polaris card and I'm waiting for 5.11 for this very reason.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Eh the problem with "stability" as a term is you are implying stability of use, but you actually mean stability of change, because with rare exceptions when regressions are introduced running newer versions will make your system operate in a more stable manner. Your system could crash all the time because of bugs but it would be "stable" if you never update because it's not changing behavior, whereas someone running a newer kernel is likely to see a reduction in those crashes and better hardware support in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Eh the problem with "stability" as a term is you are implying stability of use, but you actually mean stability of change, because with rare exceptions when regressions are introduced running newer versions will make your system operate in a more stable manner. Your system could crash all the time because of bugs but it would be "stable" if you never update because it's not changing behavior, whereas someone running a newer kernel is likely to see a reduction in those crashes and better hardware support in general.
                I agree, and thought about saying the same thing when posting. I decided against it because I wasn't in the mood for people nitpicking what I say.
                "AKSHULLY, it really is less stable to use because of X, Y, Z"
                I'm so tired of the pedantry.

Comment

I am still anticipating official LTO support, the one for Clang is very close now. I even managed to build a 5.10 RC with the patches included for x86 recently.

Comment

Perhaps most exciting for AMD laptop owners is finally seeing the AMD Sensor Fusion Hub (SFH) driver mainlined for benefiting many Ryzen notebooks with that sensor functionality now working under Linux.
                    It took longer but the efforts from several contributions from kernel developers including both Red Hat/Fedora , Arch, AMD and Intel along the updated new from Phoronix brought this hard well deserved result. As a HP Envy x360 Ryzen 2500u owner, I cannot wait to finally try it.

Comment

Working...
                    X