Linux 5.12 Bringing VRR / Adaptive-Sync For Intel TIger Lake / Xe Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.12 Bringing VRR / Adaptive-Sync For Intel TIger Lake / Xe Graphics

Phoronix: Linux 5.12 Bringing VRR / Adaptive-Sync For Intel TIger Lake / Xe Graphics

Finally with the upcoming Linux 5.12 cycle is support for Variable Rate Refresh (VRR) / Adaptive-Sync for Intel Tiger Lake "Gen12" Xe Graphics and newer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of y'all needs to "accidentally" sync your Windows driver sources with Dropbox. I know damn well someone with access to the relevant Intel, AMD, or NVIDIA HDMI VRR code posts here.

Do it

Comment

Extremely minor typo: TIger

Comment

So VRR works with AMD Hawaii GPUs from 2013 (if amdgpu.dc is used), but with Intel Gen12 is required?

Has anyone tested loading a custom EDID on Intel lately? That has never worked for me, so no VRR range adjustments etc...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          So VRR works with AMD Hawaii GPUs from 2013 (if amdgpu.dc is used), but with Intel Gen12 is required?

Has anyone tested loading a custom EDID on Intel lately? That has never worked for me, so no VRR range adjustments etc...
          About AMD VRR... yes... maybe.. if you stand on your head, hold your breath, grab one of the antenna's rabbit ears and do the kung fu crane stance...

Meaning, I have AMD hardware that's supposed to be supported but VRR doesn't work and refuses to activate no matter which guide I use. (AMD 5500 XT, display port, VRR/FreeSync/AdaptiveSync monitor) but no dice. Works fine in Windows, same hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

About AMD VRR... yes... maybe.. if you stand on your head, hold your breath, grab one of the antenna's rabbit ears and do the kung fu crane stance...

Meaning, I have AMD hardware that's supposed to be supported but VRR doesn't work and refuses to activate no matter which guide I use. (AMD 5500 XT, display port, VRR/FreeSync/AdaptiveSync monitor) but no dice. Works fine in Windows, same hardware.
            For me the thing that prevents me from using it is that it doesn't work for only one monitor - i've got a 120hz Freesync and a 60hz non-freesync and can't use it with that combination :/

Comment

I tested it on RX 480 to RX 6800 and it worked just fine, actually better than on Windows regarding game compatibility.
              I also tested with GTX 1070 and 1660S and it worked so badly that it was mostly unusable (e.g. flicker, stutter, lowered GPU utilization in Shadow of the Tomb Raider...).

Comment

Do not forget the aluminum foil that you have to place on the rabbit ears. You just gave away your age/generation.
                GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                X