Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA Changes Sent In For Linux 5.12

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA Changes Sent In For Linux 5.12

Following NVIDIA RTX 30 open-source mode-setting support in Linux 5.11, the batch of feature changes slated for the Linux 5.12 kernel have now been submitted to DRM-Next...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm going to have to buy an AMD card before wayland hits every damn OS. The window of functionality is closing rapidly on nvidia.

Comment

Why sadly ???
      Sadly would be if Intel and AMD wouldn't exist.
      I don't think any Nvidia users are sad or care about this as if they did they wouldn't be Nvidia's customers.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        I'm going to have to buy an AMD card before wayland hits every damn OS. The window of functionality is closing rapidly on nvidia.
        Has X.org been rapidly deteriorating or what? Has Wayland become usable outside Gnome/KDE? No? Then the f are you talking about? Wake me up when XFCE/IceWM at the very least announce plans to support it or Wayland receives a universal Gnome/KDE dependencies-free compositor which implements all the missing features required for smaller understaffed projects to use it.

I'm quite sure NVIDIA would rush to support Wayland properly in their binary drivers if this graphical subsystem was more than a toy project for people with an itch of proclaiming that X.org is dead while not offering a working alternative which provides perfect backward compatibility, has the same features and comes with new stuff.

So far, Wayland has not provided perfect backward compatibility, has a lesser set of features, and provides new stuff which doesn't even work for all the people (tear-free/stutter-free experience).
        Last edited by birdie; 29 January 2021, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I don't think any Nvidia users are sad or care about this as if they did they wouldn't be Nvidia's customers.
          What a narrowminded view. For the record, I'm an Nvidia customer because for various reasons I find their products superior (or used to find them superior when I last was in the market for a GPU), and I'm also an avid Linux user and open source enthusiast, and I really care about Nvidia finally getting their heads out of their a$$es and open sourcing their drivers and/or at least playing nicely with the open source graphics stack. And I know for sure I'm not alone in thinking like this.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Has Wayland become usable outside Gnome/KDE? No?
            If you ignore Sway, wlroots based compositors - probably. Users can also ignore Nvidia and don't care about Nvidia issues with Wayland. The fact Nvidia implements their backend in some compositors (they made patches for Weston and KWin) or even some open source standards (like dma-buf) clearly shows they failed to force everybody to follow their ideas. Nvidia issues aren't Wayland issues. Looks like Nvidia starting to realize this instead of saying "We are right and everybody are wrong".

Comment

I really hope that Intel will do Nvidia the same AMD did to Intel with the CPU market...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                I really hope that Intel will do Nvidia the same AMD did to Intel with the CPU market...
                ??? yes for sure (without any irony) but you can do it faster just buy a 6900XT in germany it is 400€ cheaper than a Nvidia 3090...

why do you want to wait for intel ?
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I cannot change my GPU it is a mobile one... By the way with Intel and AMD pushing opensource driver Nvidia will be forced to do something because it will be a selling point now...

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    I cannot change my GPU it is a mobile one... By the way with Intel and AMD pushing opensource driver Nvidia will be forced to do something because it will be a selling point now...
                    DLSS 2.0 is a selling point. Open source drivers are, to most users, a nice to have, at best.
                    The average user hardly knows the difference between freeware and free software...

Comment

Working...
                    X