Wine PPC64 Revived Again For Running Windows Programs On POWER CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine PPC64 Revived Again For Running Windows Programs On POWER CPUs

Phoronix: Wine PPC64 Revived Again For Running Windows Programs On POWER CPUs

Two years ago patches were posted in working on Wine support for IBM POWER / OpenPOWER hardware. The aim with that enablement has been to run Windows programs on POWER 64-bit hardware via Wine with the related "Hangover" project for handling the cross-architecture difference. The Wine patches for PPC64 have now been revived with hopes of mainlining them now that Wine 6.0 has passed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice
    Still want to buy a ppc based desktop.
    Only thing missing - for me - is steam streaming.

But with this i could at least use the win version of steam for that.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
      Very nice

if you want to spend more money for something running less performant, ...

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

Performance is not my no. one concern.

​​​​​​I only care about raw performance on my gaming desktop. Which doesn't run anything else because closed source games are untrusted

Comment

Performance is not my no. one concern.

​​​​​​I only care about raw performance on my gaming desktop. Which doesn't run anything else because closed source games are untrusted
          ...but you trust Steam, which has been known to do things like rifling through your DNS cache to check for evidence of cheat software, and which can't be sandboxed anywhere near as well as a game can because it's the downloader and DRM host?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

...but you trust Steam, which has been known to do things like rifling through your DNS cache to check for evidence of cheat software, and which can't be sandboxed anywhere near as well as a game can because it's the downloader and DRM host?
            it's not hard to sandbox steam?
            and yes i trust valve more than multiple random game developers.

Comment

it's not hard to sandbox steam?
              and yes i trust valve more than multiple random game developers.
              I'm saying that sandboxing Steam is like sandboxing a VM, as opposed to sandboxing the individual applications inside the VM... and Steam expects network access. Some Steam games are single-player or couch co-op only, or you may have no plans to play them with network multiplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

People have been doing that with Apple for years.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

People have been doing that with Apple for years.
                  lol, but that depends. But at least the M1 family of SoC has pretty good performance, ...

Comment

Very nice

I am waiting for this laptop:
                    Production of three working prototypes of the GNU/Linux PowerPC Notebook. Update 23 October 2021 the collected funds that exceed the phase goal will be used for achieving the next donation campaign for Hardware Test that will start soon. On the 11th of December 2020 we have reached the end of the previous campaign (Phase 1 […]

Comment

Working...
                    X