Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Now Works Atop NVIDIA's Linux Driver

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Now Works Atop NVIDIA's Linux Driver

Zink as the generic OpenGL implementation built atop the Vulkan API while leveraging Mesa's Gallium3D can now work atop NVIDIA's proprietary graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and now i'm waiting for benchmarks for amd/nvida/intel

Comment

I just thought that this actually can fix lack of Nvidia Optimus on Wayland. On my notebook I have Vulkan only for discrete GPU installed and all games are offloaded automatically when running on DXVK or Vulkan. Except for the OpenGL ones - those have to be offloaded manually through prime-run. And of course it is working only on X11.

Comment

I just wish NVIDIA would at least provide a Vulkan memory allocator so we can drop EGLStreams for Wayland compositors...

(note: am not NVIDIA user)

Comment

So this would let nvidia use it's vulkan driver to run mesa opengl? Could that replace the opengl KDE Plasma Kwin uses and avoid some minor graphical issues that still happen from time to time? (most were fixed a while back)

Would it also allow Wayland support or is the vulkan alternative to GBM the only route for that? (beyond EGLStreams which from what I've heard isn't too pleasant on either Gnome or Plasma)

Comment

Side note: I think AMD APU's now work on Plex(Maybe Emby too) Linux hardware transcode.

Hey there, I’ve read a lot of comments stating that Plex HW transcoding can not be made to work with the vaapi APIs exported by AMD APUs with integrated graphics. This is true, at least looking at how Plex sets things up out of the box. Manually copying over the libva drivers for AMD GPUs plus related shared libraries fixed the problem for me. cp /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/lib/dri/ && \ cp /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm_amdgpu.so.1.* /usr/lib/plex...

Comment

So we have DX9/10/11/12 over Vulkan, now we also have OpenGL over Vulkan.

Do we even need DX9, 10, 11, 12 and OpenGL anymore, since we have Vulkan now?

Comment

Hmm. One might be able to make the case for gallium 10 & 11 now, since gallium doesn't have the sharing issues of DXVK, and *maybe* not need shader precompilation.

Comment

What use does Valve have for this? I suppose I get the value of Zink in that it would allow a hypothetical new graphics hardware vendor to make a Vulkan driver only and skip OpenGL entirely. But Nvidia already has OpenGL support, so...
                  unless it's just to have another option in case Nvidia's implementation isn't doing what it is supposed to.

Comment

Nice and hopefully we get soon in Mesa mainline OpenGL 4.3! Would be interesting to see as well some benchmarks of zink-wip vs. Mesa mainline.

Comment

Working...
                    X