Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mir 2.3.2 Released With Better XWayland HiDPI, Copy/Paste Between Wayland/XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 2.3.2 Released With Better XWayland HiDPI, Copy/Paste Between Wayland/XWayland

Phoronix: Mir 2.3.2 Released With Better XWayland HiDPI, Copy/Paste Between Wayland/XWayland

Mir, Canonical's Wayland compositor designed for various Ubuntu-focused use-cases for easily constructing new shells, is out with a new point release that packs a fair amount of improvements as well as fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Canonical hate shitfest in 3, 2, 1...

Comment

HDR and better 10bit support when ?

Comment

I think that Gnome and KDE should switch to MIR in the future. The reason ist, that I think it is a waste of resources to reimplement Wayland again and again.

With this, I don't mean that Gnome developer should not develop on a Wayland compositor. What I mean that they should collaborate in some way with other developers like the KDE developers. One way would be to use MIR.

Comment

It's good to see Mir developing nicely after its "demise". The only thing that is unfortunate, is that it didn't start out as a Wayland compositor from the start. Canonical had a shot here to create a defacto common Wayland base, on which all other DEs/WMs could have been built. Then again, not being Wayland and the possibility of proprietary licensing probably seemed very promising at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by aronwolf View Post
            I think that Gnome and KDE should switch to MIR in the future. The reason ist, that I think it is a waste of resources to reimplement Wayland again and again.

With this, I don't mean that Gnome developer should not develop on a Wayland compositor. What I mean that they should collaborate in some way with other developers like the KDE developers. One way would be to use MIR.
            Gnome and Sway (wlroots) are the most stable and feature complete Wayland compositors out there and together with KDE they make up the vast majority of Wayland users.
            Why should they ever switch to Mir and not the other way around?

Comment

choose one :
              1. stable
              2. gnome

Comment

copy/paste? Wow, I didn't think we'd see that this decade.

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post

Gnome and Sway (wlroots) are the most stable and feature complete Wayland compositors out there and together with KDE they make up the vast majority of Wayland users.
                  Ok. Probably you are right. What I do not like is that the Gnome compositor is too coupled to their code, so it can not be used in other Projects. Because Gnome and KDE have a deep coupling to the rest of the code, every project has te reimplement it.

Is there any big advantage to couple it so deep to their code?

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post

What would be nice is if the compositor was decoupled from the DE.
                    Then I would gladly use Gnome with a different compositor than Mutter.

Comment

Working...
                    X