Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Currently Hiring More Linux Engineers

Phoronix: AMD Is Currently Hiring More Linux Engineers

It looks like thanks to AMD's increasing sales and continuing successes in the enterprise space with more HPC wins and the like, AMD is hiring more Linux engineers. AMD currently has several interesting job openings on the Linux front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael : the link to AMD job openings is bounded to Austin, Texas, are they hiring for this site only?

Comment

Originally posted by topolinik View Post
      Michael : the link to AMD job openings is bounded to Austin, Texas, are they hiring for this site only?
      AMD CPU efforts are based largely in Austin. However, I don't know if all these positions are remote or if reporting to their other offices would suffice., etc
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Just remember

22 July 2013 at 10:05 AM EDT.

Samsung Electronics has dramatically ramped up their Linux hiring and development efforts in the past three years and they are still on track for hiring another 20,000 Linux and open-source developers.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And I was finished without success in the US especially Austin, TX

Samsung Open-Source Group Reportedly Shuts Down
        on 27 October 2018

Maybe it is good source of AMD`s new staff

Comment

Yey, amd finally has money for linux.

This is of course great news for FOS support - feature, stability and performance wise.

Which sadly implies they are in a confident position, so they will increase their margins, so the money value of their offerings will continue dropping, which also means that intel won't be that pressed to lower its own prices.

Why the f are companies only nice to customers when they are in peril...

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
            Yey, amd finally has money for linux.

This is of course great news for FOS support - feature, stability and performance wise.

Which sadly implies they are in a confident position, so they will increase their margins, so the money value of their offerings will continue dropping, which also means that intel won't be that pressed to lower its own prices.

Why the f are companies only nice to customers when they are in peril...
            Because they are for-profit companies. Such is the state of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Because they are for-profit companies. Such is the state of the world.
              Well, for starters - it was a rhetorical question, as indicated by the lack of a question mark at the end.

Second - if amd was after maximizing their profits, they'd do more to squeeze market share out of their competitor. They already have the performance edge, so any price discount will act as a multiplied at making intel look that much worse in comparison.

Take amazon for example - they have the common business practice to lower prices to the extent of suffering loss, in order to destroy competition and seize their market share, then jack the prices back up. It is something that has been proven to work time and time again. Then again, amazon does that for a single product group, and recoup their losses from their other offerings, and sadly, amd doesn't really have that much else going for it right now, maybe this year we will finally see its graphics division making a stand.

But then again, we are in a manufacturing capacity shortage, so amd might be trying to maximize the profit they can extract from what little they can afford today, so they can secure more capacity for tomorrow, and then squeeze out intel. Alas, that will also give intel time to improve its offerings, although from the looks of their efforts so far, it is not something worth holding the breath over.

At any rate, I do agree - amd is out to make money, not do anyone any favors. I personally never bought into the "good guys" image their long standing underdog position has gained them in the public eye. IMO companies are like governments and any other large composite entity - they are all bad, as bad as they can afford to be. So for such entities, goodness only exists as a relative, not as an absolute metric.

Still, investing into linux is a smart move, this will be very good for their enterprise business, and luckily, I am also in a position to appreciate it. Both of its major competitors - intel and nvidia, have been suppressing it by means of their software investments for a very long time, and to a surprisingly great magnitude, especially for graphics, where nvidia's "we'll optimize your game for ya, and give you worthless trinkets if you don't bother to optimize for amd" came close to destroying amd's graphics division.
              Last edited by ddriver; 11 February 2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Timely k10temp support from AMD would be nice.

Comment

I would prefer more efforts in bug fixing.
                  The bug list keeps growing and crossed recently over 1000 open bugs.

amd (amdgpu, amdkfd, radeon) drm project, currently for issues only.

The bugs I have reported for Renoir Vega 7 are open for a long time and don't seem to get solved; my laptop keeps crashing usually on the AMD iGPU.
                  I am not blaming the existing developers; they are probably doing as much as they can within their boundaries (read: manager's priorities).

But I bet having _more_ developers working on the existing bug reports, might get a more stable Linux experience.

So, hooray for more AMD kernel developers!

Comment

Linux Technical Lead - This admittedly sounds like a very fun one and even piqued my personal interest. (Heck partially seems along the lines of what I often end up doing externally for the community with relentlessly trawling of Git repositories and development mailing lists in pointing out new AMD support code and commentary and pointing out base support requirements at launch and versions/patches for more optimized support. Plus benchmarking.)
                    Michael Are they looking to pay someone to do full time what you have been doing part time for free? (Free to AMD anyway - well except for the cool toys that they have sent you.)

I have mentioned before that I hope that the success of the Ryzen and Epyc along with the success of their video cards would enable AMD to put money back into the open source community - it appears that it has. Yes they are a for profit corporation, but that does always mean that there is no altruism (not saying that there is here). But the good thing in that is AMD sees profit in linux and that is good for all of us who like open source.

bridgman Which job are you applying for? Maybe they should give you Director of AMD Phoronix Operations? Or maybe Phoronix Ambassador?
                    Last edited by f0rmat; 11 February 2021, 12:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
                    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                    X