helloSystem Releases New ISOs For This macOS-Inspired BSD Desktop OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helloSystem Releases New ISOs For This macOS-Inspired BSD Desktop OS

Phoronix: helloSystem Releases New ISOs For This macOS-Inspired BSD Desktop OS

There has been a lot of attention on helloSystem this week as a macOS-inspired operating system built atop FreeBSD with an emphasis on providing a polished desktop experience. Since we highlighting the FOSDEM presentation about it, there has been a lot of coverage on helloSystem and this weekend marks a new experimental ISO release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now Nvidia just needs to support Vulkan on FreeBSD. Gaming is pretty much crippled without it.

Comment

I checked it out and I have to say I was impressed. I even looked for a way to donate but was unable to find a way to do so. I sincerely hope that it keeps growing. When I was using it it didn't feel like BSD. To me BSD has always seemed old, but Hello felt new even in it's early state.

Comment

I wish I could find a complete System 7 theme for XFCE. A title-bar theme for System 6 and 8 (Platinum) is about all I can find. I need the whole GTK3 shebang.

Comment

I can't help thinking this whenever I read about this company:

Comment

Seems like a genuinely interesting project

Comment

I seriously tried to find it, but I haven't found yet any definitive info on the desktop environment. Is this "home grown" or is a skinned XFCE? Something else? At any rate, I wish them luck on this and see it as a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                I seriously tried to find it, but I haven't found yet any definitive info on the desktop environment. Is this "home grown" or is a skinned XFCE? Something else? At any rate, I wish them luck on this and see it as a good thing.
                It’s just a weird amalgam of programs. The menu bar and dock are Qt programs from other projects. The window manager is openbox, and the the desktop is pcmanfm. There’s not anything completely original. It’s kind of slapdash, just like how most of us styled our desktops in the early 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
                  It’s just a weird amalgam of programs. The menu bar and dock are Qt programs from other projects. The window manager is openbox, and the the desktop is pcmanfm. There’s not anything completely original. It’s kind of slapdash, just like how most of us styled our desktops in the early 2000s.
                  Okay, thanks for that info. I was kind of reading it that way, but I saw mention of updating the XFCE icons I think maybe for the latest release notes or something. Thought maybe that was just the icons, just part of the slapdash It sounds like the philosophy is to keep it simple, which I can appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    Now Nvidia just needs to support Vulkan on FreeBSD. Gaming is pretty much crippled without it.
                    ???

And what non-opensource game binary are you going to run? Far as I know there are zero.

Comment

Working...
                    X