Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Are Big Changes On The Horizon With Linux 5.12

Phoronix: There Are Big Changes On The Horizon With Linux 5.12

Linux 5.11 should be released today as stable but we'll see if 5.11-rc8 is decided instead given there has been an uptick in last minute changes for this kernel. This will mean either the Linux 5.12 merge window is kicking off at the end of today or could be pushed back by one week, but in whatever case there are many changes that have been queuing up for this next kernel version window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just not too long ago I setup a Legion 5 for my brother with Manjaro, was very surpised just how well everything was supported on it with 5.9. That R7 4800H is hella snappy too.
    Last edited by creative; 14 February 2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Any other big changes planned for amdgpu in the foreseeable future? Seems pretty much feature-complete to me, unless there is something I'm not aware of. Even van Gogh support was sent in in September already.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Any other big changes planned for amdgpu in the foreseeable future? Seems pretty much feature-complete to me, unless there is something I'm not aware of. Even van Gogh support was sent in in September already.
        Feature-complete ???
        What about chroma 4:4:4, 10-12bit, HDR, VSR, Boost, Chill support ?
        But of course, when you don't even have the smallest and simplest control panel, it's hard to know what you're missing.

Comment

Is the amd equivalent of quicksync ready yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            What about chroma 4:4:4, 10-12bit, HDR, VSR, Boost, Chill support ?
            But of course, when you don't even have the smallest and simplest control panel, it's hard to know what you're missing.
            Pixel format and bit depth can be controlled via EDID, HDR works already via direct DRM context, VSR and chill are a user space thing.
            People are always mixing up kernel and user space...

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
            Is the amd equivalent of quicksync ready yet?
            There has been AMF available with amdgpu-pro driver for a long time. QuickSync isn't open either. Both Intel and AMD support VAAPI as open equivalent.

Comment

HDR works already via direct DRM context,
              Can you please elaborate on this further? I never knew HDR worked on Linux on any GPU (AMD, NVidia or Intel)

Comment

Originally posted by Random_Jerk View Post
                Can you please elaborate on this further? I never knew HDR worked on Linux on any GPU (AMD, NVidia or Intel)
                There is nothing polished that would be integrated into graphical environments yet, but e.g. there is this:
                Experimental DRM/HDR patch. Sends HDR metadata infoframes over HDMI in DRM EGL mode to make TV boxes happy with the HDR label at the corner. New Mpv option: --drm-send-hdr-meta=no|auto (default no)...

HDR should get real once Wayland color management protocol is finished and compositors land support for it. Probably nothing needs to be added to the kernel drivers to make it work.

Some people have a fundamental misunderstanding how Linux upstream development works. If you expect everything to be Windows-ish, go Windows.

Comment

Pixel format and bit depth can be controlled via EDID
                  That's really inconvenient, I'd love to be able to control rgb/yuv and color range via xrandr like the other drivers

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
                    That's really inconvenient, I'd love to be able to control rgb/yuv and color range via xrandr like the other drivers
                    I don't think that's any different with Intel?
                    But I agree that such things should be toggleable e.g. via sysfs or other viable ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X