Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LVFS Serves Up 25 Million Firmware/BIOS Updates To Linux Users

Phoronix: LVFS Serves Up 25 Million Firmware/BIOS Updates To Linux Users

It was just this past September that LVFS served its 20 millionth firmware file to Linux users updating their system BIOS or device firmware using Fwupd while this week the Linux Vendor Firmware Service crossed the 25 million milestone!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a feeling fwupd is much cleaner than vendor firmware update tools which are usually obscure...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I have a feeling fwupd is much cleaner than vendor firmware update tools which are usually obscure...
      Also a bit bloated. E.g. this lmsensors clone from Corsair weighs in at about 500 MB (compressed) https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...r_corsair_psu/

Comment

Is there any consumer motherboard or retail server motherboard supported yet?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          More or less a given. I'm hard pressed to think of a single major vendor that has really nailed it in terms of utilities for their hardware. Making it easier to find them all in the first place, as well as trimming that excess fat and vendor-specific registrations and other drivel that typically stems from each vendor flying solo makes fwupd a smash hit in my book.

The major thing to improve is vendor support, but the amount of vendors evaluating LVFS with "test accounts" certainly makes one hopeful. Between Lenovo, Dell, and HP all committing to various degrees or promising to commit to various degrees, there's certainly plenty of push by big players. The future seems promising.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
            Is there any consumer motherboard or retail server motherboard supported yet?
            Don't know about desktops, but my ThinkPad laptop UEFI received updates through LVFS/fwupd , and my Logitech keyboard/mouse wireless receivers got a critical security update through it as well.

I believe Asrock announced they would support it as well, recently.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              I believe Asrock announced they would support it as well, recently.
              ​​​​​​
              I may have missed that. Do you have any links?

PS. my Dell XPS gets updates as well but I'm looking for a new (non-OEM) desktop..

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                I may have missed that. Do you have any links?

PS. my Dell XPS gets updates as well but I'm looking for a new (non-OEM) desktop..
                I don't have any links ready to post, but there was a Phoronix article about it.

Comment

Working...
                X