NVIDIA 470 Series To Be The Last Supporting GTX 600/700 Series Kepler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470 Series To Be The Last Supporting GTX 600/700 Series Kepler

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470 Series To Be The Last Supporting GTX 600/700 Series Kepler

NVIDIA Linux users have been looking forward to the upcoming 470 driver series for better Wayland support but for those running GeForce GTX 600/700 series graphics cards, it will mean the end of the line for new feature driver releases with their proprietary driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully by the time the NVIDIA 470 series is end-of-life, Nouveau will finally have better open-source support for these GPUs.
    it won't.

i have 750ti in a dedicated stepmania setup and for this particular purpose this card perfectly holds up.

this application does not require some extreme gpu performance, but now i am starting to get a bit worried. card of that generation is still perfectly usable for many tasks.

i think i'll have to see how well it works with nouveau then.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

it won't.

i have 750ti in a dedicated stepmania setup and for this particular purpose this card perfectly holds up.

this application does not require some extreme gpu performance, but now i am starting to get a bit worried. card of that generation is still perfectly usable for many tasks.

i think i'll have to see how well it works with nouveau then.
      I would not hold my breath wrt nouveau... its a monumental achievement and testament to the engineers working in the dark on it... unfortunately it really is terrible in use.

That said, if its a dedicated stepmania setup... why bother upgrading past this point? I am guessing the system probably does not need network access if you are worried about security, but even at that point if something disastrous does happen and uber-l33t hackers get into it for some uknown reason... will it really matter on a stepmania machine?

Once support ends, you basically have a retro gaming machine by default... if you treat it like that it will probably be just fine for many decades to come!

I would say its time to upgrade the hardware... but lets be honest that wont be possible for another decade or two either at the current rate of availability!

Comment

NVIDIA 418 released on April 2019 was the last one supporting GTX 600/700 Series Kepler (Mobile). A difference of two years between the same generation, Not to mention that mobile gpus released ~= 6 months after desktop gpus.

Comment

Not completely unexpected. I have a 750ti and was expecting official driver support to end within the next 2 years, so was planning on upgrading anyway, but whether or not nvidia gets my business again depends entirely on what cards are available at a reasonable price. And with the market as it is now, it looks like I'm stuck with this card for the next several years.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
            NVIDIA 418 released on April 2019 was the last one supporting GTX 600/700 Series Kepler (Mobile). A difference of two years between the same generation, Not to mention that mobile gpus released ~= 6 months after desktop gpus.
            I think that end of support only applied to the Windows drivers. I have a GeForce GT 750M and it's working just fine with Linux driver 460.73.

Comment

The GTX 750ti is an expection... It's Maxwell based:

The GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card comes loaded with next-gen NVIDIA gaming technology like TXAA, FXAA, GPU Boost 2.0, and GeForce Experience, as well as 128 more NVIDIA CUDA cores than the GTX 750. Check it out.

It's the only 700 series GPU that is not Kepler based, if me memory doesn't fail me.

Comment

lol nvidia retiring a series from support when you can't buy new gpu's

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  lol nvidia retiring a series from support when you can't buy new gpu's
                  Nvidia keeps legacy drivers supported as far as security and kernel support goes. It's about feature updates. The cards keep working the same way they do today. They just won't get anything new. in the feature set.

Comment

But they'll still be supported with LTS drivers, so you can use it with the latest X or whatever. And they support LTS pretty way back.

Comment

Working...
                    X