Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 2.28 In September, GNOME 3.0 In March

Phoronix: GNOME 2.28 In September, GNOME 3.0 In March

With GNOME 2.26 having been released a few weeks back, the GNOME development community is slowly beginning to ramp up work on the next release, which will be known as GNOME 2.28. The release schedule for GNOME 2.28 is out, along with a tentative schedule for GNOME 3.0! GNOME 3.0 will take off where GNOME 2.30 would have been, and will come with some significant improvements to compete in the age of KDE 4.First though, with the GNOME 2.28 release schedule, its first unstable release (v2.27.1) will be out later this month on the 29th...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please bring back beautifully aligned volume control.
    Strip this ugly "new" one

Comment

also, phoronix should stop linking to itself: a link to "GNOME 3.0" should link to the gnome 3.0 announcement, not to a search which returns nothing. it is not appreciated. thanks.

Comment

I hope the guys at Gnome don't make a big deal out of:
        ...will come with some significant improvements to compete in the age of KDE 4
        Things are going to well to ruin it now...

Comment

I have hopes that the conservative tendancies of the folks at GNOME will win out and this update will be a really good incremental improvement with very few regressions.

Comment

Originally posted by tulcod View Post
            also, phoronix should stop linking to itself: a link to "GNOME 3.0" should link to the gnome 3.0 announcement, not to a search which returns nothing. it is not appreciated. thanks.
            I hate that too

Comment

Originally posted by kxmas View Post
              I hate that too
              Thirded. Need more links to the actual source sites. Slashdot does a good job with that, for example.

But any way, I too hope that "competing against KDE4", which really doesn't even...make sense...at least not as far as usability is concerned, but it does make sense for some of the neat features that KDE 4 *does* have, will not mean that Gnome goes to crap of course. I don't think it will, given that Gnome devs put usability first, so I hope Gnome 3.0 will mean the usability of Gnome, plus more features, plus maybe some shinies or compiz integration stuff (which can be easily disabled if wanted). If they are planning on completely revamping Gnome's usability then I hope it actually will be more usable, and if it's a mess I hope you can switch to the old way, or that the old branch is kept up or forked if there is a high demand for the old style still. I also wouldn't mind a slight learning curve if they do completely change it, like any new layout would require really, but a very small curve since a good layout should mean things are intuitive and learning them is very easy.

If they get all those things down, then it should be awesome. ^^

Comment

Working...
              X