Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 6.11 Released With Theming Support For All Built-In Programs

Phoronix: Wine 6.11 Released With Theming Support For All Built-In Programs

Wine 6.11 is out as the latest bi-weekly development snapshot for running an increasing number of Windows applications and games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool so can it look like the GTK theme Adwaita or like Windows 10?

Comment

It'd be nice if you could install any version of office from the past decade. I honestly find vanilla Wine useless for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
        It'd be nice if you could install any version of office from the past decade. I honestly find vanilla Wine useless for anything.
        -staging likely regresses even more (hard to imagine that this was even possible, but well). Still sticking with a (tkg) -staging 6.8 build, as I prefer my games being able to run and wineserver not eating a whole CPU thread for nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          -staging likely regresses even more (hard to imagine that this was even possible, but well). Still sticking with a (tkg) -staging 6.8 build, as I prefer my games being able to run and wineserver not eating a whole CPU thread for nothing...
          Have You tried the recent Proton-GE build?

Generally I have a better experience with it for running games than with WINE-Staging.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            I do wonder if tkg's (ge's, etc) code is not up to snuff as to why they don't seem to donate all their fixes to wine project. I only use others if winehq's doesn't work well enough but the majority of the time (98%+) for me its fine. I find not putting the fixes into wine project is a really odd thing and isn't how I would go about it.
            Last edited by ix900; 19 June 2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

I do wonder if tkg's (ge's, etc) code is not up to snuff as to why they don't seem to donate all their fixes to wine project. I only use others if winehq's doesn't work well enough but the majority of the time (98%+) for me its fine. I find not putting the fixes into wine project is a really odd thing and isn't how I would go about it.
              That's not really what's going on. GE, for example, is taking the Proton changes and rebasing them on newer Wine versions. It's work that will eventually land in upstream Proton/Wine, but not code changes like you would think of normally. TKG looks like the same thing. It's like Wine has three branches: Vanilla, staging, and Proton. Staging and Proton both have experimental patches/fixes in place, and those do wind up in vanilla wine eventually. TKG and GE are just builds that pull in some of those patches from various places.

Comment

Originally posted by jbennett View Post

That's not really what's going on. GE, for example, is taking the Proton changes and rebasing them on newer Wine versions. It's work that will eventually land in upstream Proton/Wine, but not code changes like you would think of normally. TKG looks like the same thing. It's like Wine has three branches: Vanilla, staging, and Proton. Staging and Proton both have experimental patches/fixes in place, and those do wind up in vanilla wine eventually. TKG and GE are just builds that pull in some of those patches from various places.
                Yeah.
                Proton is mostly about steam/gaming, so the patches there are to get steam games to work. Staging is "wine experimental branch", and although good for gaming, is not mainly focused on that.

So, lets take an example: Say you run app X on wine-staging. Then you decide you wanna try some game. That does not work very well with staging, so you try proton... and it works. However, running proton breaks app X.
                Lets say you combine the patches in staging + the patches in proton to get your game running? A "one-shoe-fits-all".. so that you can run App X and your game with the same "wine" version. That is mostly what TKG/GE is doing with their projects.

It is not as simple as "jeez.. just combine all the projects upstream then!". Different ideas, different goals.. different people.

EDIT: GE is more "release based" prebuilt version, where as TKG is fully customizable with no "release". You just enable/disable what fixes you want in the config files and you get a source based on that.
                Last edited by Cybmax; 19 June 2021, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  Have You tried the recent Proton-GE build?

Generally I have a better experience with it for running games than with WINE-Staging.
                  I'll probably give it a try, given all the regressions with -staging when trying to stay up to date. My last attempt with regular Proton didn't work out well for this scenario, even though it has got much better for its intended purpose lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybmax View Post

Yeah.
                    Proton is mostly about steam/gaming, so the patches there are to get steam games to work. Staging is "wine experimental branch", and although good for gaming, is not mainly focused on that.

So, lets take an example: Say you run app X on wine-staging. Then you decide you wanna try some game. That does not work very well with staging, so you try proton... and it works. However, running proton breaks app X.
                    Lets say you combine the patches in staging + the patches in proton to get your game running? A "one-shoe-fits-all".. so that you can run App X and your game with the same "wine" version. That is mostly what TKG/GE is doing with their projects.

It is not as simple as "jeez.. just combine all the projects upstream then!". Different ideas, different goals.. different people.

EDIT: GE is more "release based" prebuilt version, where as TKG is fully customizable with no "release". You just enable/disable what fixes you want in the config files and you get a source based on that.
                    What you're saying is basically that wine is so broken that it can't do its one thing correctly so it has to be splintered into multiple. That cannot be correct.

Point in fact I've seen code not added to wine in tkg's or ge's projects and it is stuff that should be added to Wine since its stubbed or unfinished. No one adds it.

I do not see it your way ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X