KDE Pushes More Plasma Wayland Improvements, Plug-in System For The Konsole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Pushes More Plasma Wayland Improvements, Plug-in System For The Konsole

Phoronix: KDE Pushes More Plasma Wayland Improvements, Plug-in System For The Konsole

Even with Akademy 2021 this week as the annual KDE developer conference, thanks in part to it being a virtual event the KDE developers still managed to remain quite productive on new code changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So far I've just been doing the low-tech version with no software, just a small telescope and a manual tripod.
    Same here. I have a Meade Polaris 90mm refractor and a simple GEM on the cheapest tripod imaginable. I almost bought a GoTo the other day but picked up PC storage instead. I thought about it and the things I really want, like a 12" GoTo Dobsonian or the Meade LX-85 Mount, were out of my budget; best to get what I need now and save for what I want.

In the meantime I'm thinking about getting a bracket to mount my phone to my tube and use that as a manual GoTo with Skeye, maybe pair that with a CMOS imager and a cheapo laptop to try my hand at astrophotography.

Comment

That SVG speedup sounds amazing!

"As I started looking into it, ::loadImageFromCache was %25 of the CPU time. After this patch it's short of 1%."

Comment

Konsole is probably my #1 most used program for work. It's easy to take it for granted. I am curious how well reflow works when your scrollback is set to absolutely massive sizes.

Comment

Hm again Wayland fixes.. when will it be usable?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            I'm using it at work for about 2 weeks now on KDE Plasma 5.22, seems fine, at last for my use. Nothing is crashing, graphical glitches are mostly gone. The only thing broken is select-text-to-copy and pasting with middle mouse button. Looks like this is a multi-software bug that will not be solved soon. Ctrl+C/Ctrl-V is fine tough.

Others may had more serious problems, but for me at last, is really usable. I can see it being enabled by default in all major distros out there next year.

Comment

I'm using it since 5.21. it's usable for me. Wayland fixes will be here forever, it's software.

Comment

KDE needs a lot of work to run on Wayland.

Gnome3 gnome-shell as used by Fedora and Ubuntu (and others probably that I have not tried) works perfectly with Wayland.

Clarifying that because too many people think that "Wayland" is its own thing. It is just a protocol definition that clients and compositors need to implement. Some do that better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

KDE needs a lot of work to run on Wayland.

Gnome3 gnome-shell as used by Fedora and Ubuntu (and others probably that I have not tried) works perfectly with Wayland.

Clarifying that because too many people think that "Wayland" is its own thing. It is just a protocol definition that clients and compositors need to implement. Some do that better than others.
                  A protocol that clients need to implement eventually. Also consider that the more general-purpose demands of a lot of gnome users are likely less strict than the workstation-oriented demands of a lot of KDE users. There is no hurry on the KDE side. Rushing and botching wayland on KDE would be the worst-case scenario.

Comment

It depends on your definition of usable. I've been using it since 5.22 was released and there are a few annoying issues but it's usable. That said, it's better on my Intel laptop than my AMD desktop, where the screen locker crashed after a few hours of inactivity and required using command line to unlock the session again but I don't know if that's because the laptop suspends rather than staying on.

Comment

Working...
                    X