Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Discrete Graphics On Linux Nearing The Point Of A Working, Accelerated Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Discrete Graphics On Linux Nearing The Point Of A Working, Accelerated Desktop

Phoronix: Intel Discrete Graphics On Linux Nearing The Point Of A Working, Accelerated Desktop

Bringing up Intel discrete graphics on Linux especially when it comes to accelerated 3D rendering has been a very lengthy process for the DG1 graphics card enablement, but it may soon actually start working...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm quite interested here.

When Linux finally gets a working solution to enable both the Xe oGPU and the Xe MAX dGPU, will we be able to decide which application gets to use which card with DRI_PRIME?

For example, if the Xe iGPU and the Xe MAX corresponds to 0 and 1 respectively, can we make the Gnome or Plasma Wayland use DRI_PRIME=1 to let the Xe MAX handle drawing the GUI, while offloading simpler applications to DRI_PRIME=0 ?

Already doing this with the nouveau and intel drivers on my optimus laptop.

Comment

Which codification supports this card?

Comment

It's quite amazing how quickly the landscape has changed. Not too long ago I could only get Intel integrated graphics if I wanted a good open-source experience. Now I have TWO choices for high performance open-source graphics? I don't expect Intel to compete with the high end on the first generation, but this is too exciting. Now if only Nvidia and some of the ARM graphics providers get on board... and actually, I heard that Samsung will be using RDNA2 in their next ARM chips? How amazing would that be? We are really blessed to be alive in this time. I hope we can sustain the momentum so that we don't ever fall back to proprietary drivers for hardware.

Comment

Michael "Late 2020" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Which codification supports this card?
            Xe

Supported video codifications possibly same as Tiger Lake or better

Decodification of the following formats supported: H.262, H.264, H.265, VC-1, JPEG, VP8, VP9, AV1

Encodificalizanitizalitization of the following formats supported: H.262, H.264, H.265 (plus 4:2:2/4:4:4), VP9

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              I'm quite interested here.

When Linux finally gets a working solution to enable both the Xe oGPU and the Xe MAX dGPU, will we be able to decide which application gets to use which card with DRI_PRIME?

For example, if the Xe iGPU and the Xe MAX corresponds to 0 and 1 respectively, can we make the Gnome or Plasma Wayland use DRI_PRIME=1 to let the Xe MAX handle drawing the GUI, while offloading simpler applications to DRI_PRIME=0 ?

Already doing this with the nouveau and intel drivers on my optimus laptop.
              Wait what?

This setup will only work if the display output connector is routed to the discrete card. Otherwise the discrete card would have to send the data back to the integrated one, which adds overhead.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 01 July 2021, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wait what?

This setup will only work if the display output connector is routed to the discrete card. Otherwise the discrete card would have to send the data back to the integrated one, which adds processing overhead.
                WTF? Sending stream of bits "adds processing"? Definitely not. It uses memory and PCIE bandwith and adds small delay, but I couldn't call it "processing". It's probably copying memory regions using DMA, so nor CPU or GPU should be much involved too much in this process.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wait what?

This setup will only work if the display output connector is routed to the discrete card. Otherwise the discrete card would have to send the data back to the integrated one, which adds overhead.
                  I hope such laptops work like old one optimus, everything goes to igpu, I hate having a optimus laptop that needed to have dgpu on to use hdmi ports, most of time I use hdmi is to work, programmer, or watch videos and I don t need the dgpu for such things

Comment

But I thought it was AMD that are late with drivers...

Comment

Working...
                    X