Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gets New Thermal Driver Code Ahead of Alder Lake

Phoronix: Linux Gets New Thermal Driver Code Ahead of Alder Lake

The thermal subsystem updates for the Linux 5.14 kernel include more work on Intel's int340x driver that is used by newer Intel laptops for dealing with their varying thermal control capabilities and exposing more thermal information to user-space for use by Intel's Thermal Daemon (Thermald). This cycle the work includes a new driver that will be used by next-gen Alder Lake SoCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this going to be the first instance of consumer grade hardware that dynamically scales system RAM's frequency? This is very interesting. If I'm reading my HWiNFO's output correctly then the most power-hungry part of my Ryzen 5800X, in idle conditions, is the SoC which contains the DDR controller.
    If this is indeed what happens then what type of DDR training is going to happen at boot? Going through max speed and then testing lower frequencies as well? What about voltages at lower frequencies?

Comment

Working...
    X