Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Kicks Off July With More Plasma Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Kicks Off July With More Plasma Wayland Fixes

Fixes to the Plasma Wayland session continue to be quite steady work in the KDE camp even with the support becoming quite mature and good enough for day-to-day use...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope it's can fix Valhelm under XWayland (choppy and low perfomance)

Comment

Thanks for the recap! KDE now really pushes their Wayland support further, which is nice. I use it for several months now since 5.21 and yeah, it's quite usable and mostly stable with some hiccups here and there.

I've got question about the UI scaling in multi-DPI setup. I use my laptop that is 14' along with 22' external monitor. They're both 1080p, but it makes a lot of sense to have the smaller one at 125%, and the latter at 100% - the UI elements seem to finally have (almost) the same physical size regardless to screen dimensions. Most applications I use now run on Wayland native, but the image quality is... that depends on the app. They all look great on the 125%, but when opened/moved to 100% it feels like they're still rendered at 125% and then down-scaled which makes some of the apps look pretty ugly. Is that the case? I think that when the app is moved around, it should get some event to re-render at the proper scale (should probably be handled by toolkit). I see that Firefox does something like that because it takes about 1s until the window is refreshed and it looks exactly as it should. It also feels that GTK+ apps are doing better than Qt5 ones, but I'm not completely sure about that. Are there some tough technical blockers and will that remain as the expected behavior forever?

Also, since 5.22 pinch-to-zoom gesture no longer work in applications. I'm not sure which KDE project is appropriate to file a bug in.

Anyway, so far so good! Fix multi-screen management, work around the XWayland and HiDPI issue and I can ditch Gnome on my desktop PC for good
      Last edited by bple2137; 09 July 2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's good enough for day-to-day use at this point in time. I still get various problems like
        • drag and drop does not work sometimes. (for example from Dolphin to Discord or to FileZilla)
        • lock screen breaks every time i go afk for 15 minutes, requiring unlocking via different virtual terminal and doing
          Code:
          loginctl unlock-session 2
        • some applications glitch their view, they show the same state/frame it was on until it glitched requiring a restart of the app
        • fullscreen apps like games open on the wrong monitor (probably because there is no "default" monitor setting)
        • copy paste does not work sometimes
        i could also just be unlucky lol

Comment

"- Plasma Wayland also has a fix for GTK windows where their UI elements are too small when using HiDPI scaling."

Will this fix the thing where I need to mount the 400mm lens on my camera and point it at the monitor in order to kind of make out what the text says in libreoffice?

Comment

Last time I tried the Wayland session with the latest Plasma, clipboard experience was completely borked (like it simply swallowed copying half of the time). So I'm waiting for it to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuunex View Post
              I wouldn't say it's good enough for day-to-day use at this point in time. I still get various problems like
              • drag and drop does not work sometimes. (for example from Dolphin to Discord or to FileZilla)
              • lock screen breaks every time i go afk for 15 minutes, requiring unlocking via different virtual terminal and doing
                Code:
                loginctl unlock-session 2
              • some applications glitch their view, they show the same state/frame it was on until it glitched requiring a restart of the app
              • fullscreen apps like games open on the wrong monitor (probably because there is no "default" monitor setting)
              • copy paste does not work sometimes
              i could also just be unlucky lol
              Not really. Drag and Drop doesn't work at all in Firefox/Google Drive. I've experienced one of those lock screen crashes, no more.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                "- Plasma Wayland also has a fix for GTK windows where their UI elements are too small when using HiDPI scaling."

Will this fix the thing where I need to mount the 400mm lens on my camera and point it at the monitor in order to kind of make out what the text says in libreoffice?
                No, that's a separate bug in Libreoffice itself (just tested today). See https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/....cgi?id=137924

Comment

Waiting for Plasma under Wayland to support gamma changes.. it still isn't a thing even tho being a stable of basic desktop configuration options since ever! (No I do not want color shifting options, just gamma)

Comment

- No longer warning users of SMART signs of instability for disks due to too many false positives but now only showing on normal error conditions.
                    hah I got one of these warning recently, but I hadn't actually investigated any further to see what the error was. Sounds like it might be fine anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X