KDE Plasma Mobile 21.07 Released With More Responsive Shell, Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Mobile 21.07 Released With More Responsive Shell, Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Mobile 21.07 Released With More Responsive Shell, Fixes

The folks working on KDE's mobile efforts have released Plasma Mobile 21.07 as the newest feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly I am surprised the Plasma Mobile project is still active.
    Just sad there are no phones in production that come with it pre-installed, other than the PinePhone...

I thought it'd work on Librem 5 but only one article was made mentioning it...

Comment

I've installed postmarketos with Plasma mobile on my oneplus 6. And it looks really nice, but it still was too buggy, lots of crashes or not working applications. Hope this new release will address these issues and hopefully maliit works now in Firefox.

Comment

After the pegasus story I'm more interested than ever to get a really open phone. Nice to see progress, hope it's getting more (or just easier to share technologie - KDE investing heavily into Wayland on the desktop should pay off here as well).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Honestly I am surprised the Plasma Mobile project is still active.
          Just sad there are no phones in production that come with it pre-installed, other than the PinePhone...

I thought it'd work on Librem 5 but only one article was made mentioning it...
          It's pretty cool that it exists, because it does have an appeal to have open source apps on the phone and to have apps from the Linux desktop whether it be GNOME or KDE on the phone, but looking at the screenshots this KDE Plasma thing doesn't look like anything I would like to use. It looks rather terrible.

Comment

Great work and everything, but names are soooo bad for apparently no reason.
            KWeather? Qrca? Calindori? It's like the intent is to target these apps only to enthusiasts while trying to explicitly alienate normal people that might be interested in a FOSS phone in the future.
            Qrca is especially baffling.

Some widgets like the error in Kasts are still too desktop-y: traditional Win95 layout (icon to the left, message, action button on the bottom right, X on the top right), tiny elements.
            Last edited by chocolate; 20 July 2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I have to agree with the orange website, some of these apps do not have a great layout or UX. It's just a matter of refinement because the base breeze theme is getting really good. That floating hamburguer thing looks bad.

I hope they keep working on it and Kirigami. I didn't like it at all when it was first announced, didn't help that discover was trash (I can't name a single app store that isn't) and had/still has some really weird UX. Looking at good apps like Neochat and Tok I can see that layout and small details can make or break an app.

Comment

Its progress can be seen on https://www.plasma-mobile.org/blog/

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  After the pegasus story I'm more interested than ever to get a really open phone.
                  Which is why you will never be allowed to have one. Spying is here to stay and you won't have a license to sell phones for long if you don't allow it. Any one that has any thing confidential on their phone is out of their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

It's pretty cool that it exists, because it does have an appeal to have open source apps on the phone and to have apps from the Linux desktop whether it be GNOME or KDE on the phone, but looking at the screenshots this KDE Plasma thing doesn't look like anything I would like to use. It looks rather terrible.
                    It *was* uglier before, but the home screen looks pretty good now. There may be some rough spots, but hopefully these are fixed.
                    Make sure you are looking at recent screenshots because the older ones indeed are ugly (e.g. bottom bar buttons out of proportion).

Weren't you the guy calling KDE "shit" long ago?
                    GNOME surely fits better on a phone, but the problem is that it was completely unprepared before Purism did the chores.

Comment

Working...
                    X