Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 21.10 Likely Sticking To The GNOME 40 Desktop

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.10 Likely Sticking To The GNOME 40 Desktop

While Ubuntu normally ships with the very latest GNOME desktop version issued just before release time, with Ubuntu 21.04 they stuck to GNOME 3.38 rather than punting early to GNOME 40. In the Ubuntu 21.10 development packages they since migrated to GNOME 40 but now it looks like they will be sticking to that and not pulling ahead to the near-final GNOME 41...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great to hear! Hopefully this further entices extension developers to port their still-3.38 extensions to 40.

Comment

41 is rather a small update, with most things trickled down to 40 anyways. 42 next april should be a lot more interesting, lets see if Canonical is in sync again until then.

Comment

Makes sense with 21.10 being out only a month later, and you never know what a Gnome release will break, system or extension-wise.
        One month to patch things up, while being in UI and feature freeze, that's not realistic.

Comment

Ubuntu 21.10 comes with GNOME Shell 40 but many other applications are still at version 3.38.

Comment

i would even wait for Gnomes-Hell 44. plenty of extensions just will take time to port it all over to 40

Comment

Probably some software components of the Os should be ready in the end of August or to the first week of September in order to meet the calendar release of the whole Os in October.

Comment

I'm happy to see them focus on the 3.x to 40 transition in the rolling release. There are still some GNOME packages on 3.x ( https://people.canonical.com/~platfo.../versions.html ). As long as 22.04 LTS is fully-baked, I'm a happy camper, and happy to test 21.10 and 22.04 as early ISOs become available.

Comment

I quit Ubuntu because of old packages (nothing wrong with stability, but I needed up-to-date instead), I see they're adding stuff on that list...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    I quit Ubuntu because of old packages (nothing wrong with stability, but I needed up-to-date instead), I see they're adding stuff on that list...
                    That's not stability, it's just old age.
                    In the modern world the old versions only have bugs that have been fixed on the new versions. However if you ship patched stuff and you're not vanilla, well! it is clear that much more time is needed and it is not certain that everything works.

Comment

Working...
                    X