Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches The Infinity Hub As Its Newest Open-Source Portal

Phoronix: AMD Launches The Infinity Hub As Its Newest Open-Source Portal

AMD has launched the Infinity Hub as their newest "open-source portal"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why don't they use GitHub or GitLab?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Why don't they use GitHub or GitLab?
      There is conditions to be on AMD open-source portals, obviously AMD specific.

Comment

I don't know, AMD is a bit too adamant branding everything "Infinity" so close to the conclusion of Avengers. Clearly some ulterior motives are in play :P

Comment

AFAIK this is a collection of containers built from open source software - I think of containers as binary rather than source...

... and that's why we are not using GitHub/GitLab or similar.
          Last edited by bridgman; 20 August 2021, 12:47 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            I don't know, AMD is a bit too adamant branding everything "Infinity" so close to the conclusion of Avengers. Clearly some ulterior motives are in play :P
            The overhead of global trademark review/approval is probably a big factor.

I suspect we have projects where the design/implementation/test effort was less than the naming effort.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I don't remember us saying anything about this being "open source" oriented - it's a collection of containers which I think of as binary rather than source.

AFAIK that's why we aren't using GitHub/GitLab or similar.
              The email I received from Edelmann this morning about it was titled "AMD Infinity Hub: All-in-one portal for HPC open-source software" And further noted it being for open-source software in the email body. Let me know if I should forward you over the email if there is some confusion somewhere along the route.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I hope this idea works out, ROCm is in theory capable to do a lot of things, but currently it is very complicated to make them work.

Comment

AMD still needs to work on the "hassle-free" side of things to get ROCm going. Docker might be a means for HPC users, but we end-users are still confronted with a mess when it comes to installing and using ROCm (on supported consumer hardware such as my Vega 56).

Comment

Working...
                  X