Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

Phoronix: KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

KDE developers have kicked off September by landing many fixes for their desktop stack, including around their Plasma Wayland session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not being able to copy/paste between native and Xwayland apps was a major show stopper IMO. Great to see it fixed!

Comment

Yay sounds good.
      I had planned to switch to plasma wayland (from xfce) tomorrow anyway.

Maybe i wait a few more days until this hits arch repos

Comment

Still broken with dual-screen. Loses window/panel position etc after screen blank, suspend etc :/

Comment

How much are you betting that chromium still doesn't render correctly in HiDPI, that SMPlayer doesn't work and there's still no hardware acceleration with either

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            How much are you betting that chromium still doesn't render correctly in HiDPI, that SMPlayer doesn't work and there's still no hardware acceleration with either
            I'm in Plasma 5.22.5 wayland, and I can use SMPlayer without a problem (flatpak version).

Comment

Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post

I'm in Plasma 5.22.5 wayland, and I can use SMPlayer without a problem (flatpak version).
              hm, will have to try that some time then - that was the biggest annoyance left i noticed when i last did a (short) testdrive ^^

Comment

I've been Wayland exclusive sincr Plasma 5.21 and it works fine by itself. I have a few annoyances with Firefox because its Wayland suppport needs more work, but KDE itself is doing pretty well and more fixes/features are welcome.

Comment

lemme guess. "annoyances" with third party apps include lack of hardware video decoding in chromium...

nothing to do with KDE itself, i know. sadly, everything to do with wayland being pretty much unusable for some scenarios (and no, mpv and youtube are NOT everything).

now all you need to do is apply pressure on Igalia & co so they'll pull their heads out of their Ozone and do what needs to be done. good luck with that.

Comment

Is anyone using KDE Wayland with proprietary NVIDIA drivers? Does this work?

Comment

Working...
                    X