Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Tackling Support For More Games

Phoronix: Zink OpenGL-On-Vulkan Tackling Support For More Games

After last month landing the Zink sub-allocator code for improved performance and also enabling OpenGL ES 3.2 support for Zink, lead developer Mike Blumenkrantz at Valve has been spending time this month working to get more games running on this OpenGL-over-Vulkan Mesa driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If Zink can solve https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/1326, then It would exceed even RadeonSI on this one.
    Submitted by Sven Arvidsson Assigned to Default DRI bug account Link to original bug...

Comment

It looks like with ARB_bindless_texture support, Zink on anv supports Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War while iris/i965 don't.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
        It looks like with ARB_bindless_texture support, Zink on anv supports Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War while iris/i965 don't.
        When the translation layer supports more things than the native driver...

Fast-forward one or two years, and eventually we will be saying this:
        It looks like with these massive optimizations, Zink on anv runs Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War at 60 FPS while iris/i965 don't.

Comment

I played Teardown via Zink as the native OpenGL Driver kept crashing on me. Earlier versions had extremly bad performance and the ouput buffer was somehow garbled (half of the screen showed correctly the other one was flipped), however the latest version delivers really good crash free performance

Comment

That dude is on fire!
            mad props for his accomplishments!

Comment

Can't wait for the day where Zink will be faster than native drivers
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Can't wait for the day where Zink will be faster than native drivers
                Soon we will need only of few Vulkan drivers + zink. A simple, effective and clean way to deal with old standards.

Comment

Michael
                  I'll be back around with another fresh arsenal of Zink benchmarks when the Mesa 21.3 stable release is closer or when Mike pushes another big batch of exciting optimizations to mainline Mesa, whichever comes first.
                  Great, but I would add to also do some tests with a different hardware driver, possibly the intel anv one.

Comment

Working...
                  X