Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 12 Now Available From The Android Open-Source Project

Phoronix: Android 12 Now Available From The Android Open-Source Project

Google announced today that Android 12 is now officially available from the Android Open Source Project (AOSP)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When will Google offer universal builds though.
    LineageOS untill then.

Comment

For anyone who is interested, I've been beta testing Android 12. This release has a lot of improvement around cutting back CPU usage for general operations which helps performance and battery life. You can feel it but you can also see the improvement via benchmarks.

Aside from that, there are a mix of GUI changes you can see on YouTube. I don't agree with some of them nor disagree strongly. The two-toned coloring thing is pretty nice.

Comment

So that's a no to my S4 getting an update then. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          For anyone who is interested, I've been beta testing Android 12. This release has a lot of improvement around cutting back CPU usage for general operations which helps performance and battery life. You can feel it but you can also see the improvement via benchmarks.

Aside from that, there are a mix of GUI changes you can see on YouTube. I don't agree with some of them nor disagree strongly. The two-toned coloring thing is pretty nice.
          Thanks for sharing. Even if my phone isn't supposed to be getting this.

Comment

I'm looking forward to getting this.

Remember, Xiaomi phones are the only major brand with first class aftermarket support. All their phones have an official way to unlock the bootloader.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Remember, Xiaomi phones are the only major brand with first class aftermarket support. All their phones have an official way to unlock the bootloader.
              but you have to use a Windows-only tool for that and need to register a for a mi account and it blocks you from unlocking for a week the first time you try.

OTOH all samsung and oneplus phones are unlockable without shenanigans. so are motorolas fastboot unlockable but you do need to register on their unlock site and their US carrier exclusives can't

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Compared to Samsung, Xiaomi is garbage level, it forces you to have a SIM card and give them the phone number, plus all the identifiable serial numbers of the phone.
                I really don't recommend it to anyone !

Comment

Originally posted by mikelpr View Post

but you have to use a Windows-only tool for that and need to register a for a mi account and it blocks you from unlocking for a week the first time you try.

OTOH all samsung and oneplus phones are unlockable without shenanigans. so are motorolas fastboot unlockable but you do need to register on their unlock site and their US carrier exclusives can't
                  False. Samsung only allows bootloader unlock on devices sold in places where it is a legal requirement to do so, like in the EU. Absolutely no US devices are bootloader unlockable.

My guess is you are thinking of carrier unlocking, which is the process of enabling a device to join other carriers than the one it was sold attached to. This is a completely separate and totally unrelated thing.

Comment

I wish that Google would just have a Git repository for Android instead of developers have to wait for a code drop.

Comment

Working...
                    X