Red Hat Is Making It Easy To Run Bleeding-Edge LLVM/Clang On Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Making It Easy To Run Bleeding-Edge LLVM/Clang On Fedora

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Making It Easy To Run Bleeding-Edge LLVM/Clang On Fedora

Red Hat's Platform Tools team is making it very easy to run the very bleeding edge, development version of the LLVM toolchain and Clang compiler on the current versions of Fedora...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora + Bleeding edge? Atleast those two packages are.

I went from an Arch system to Fedora and have to file bug reports over how old some of their packages are.

You know whose bugreport made Fedora adopt xarchiver 0.5.4.17 i.e. not an ancient version?

Mine.
    And it sucked.
    Last edited by AdamOne; 10 October 2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
      Fedora + Bleeding edge?
      Fedora depends on packagers to keep packages up to date. While the "major" packages tend to be leading (if not bleeding) edge because the packagers are motivated to bring in the latest, there are certainly some packagers who are willing to let the dogs sleep until they get a FTBFS bugzilla.

The good news is that a fair number packagers are willing to add co-maintainers (or let you take over the package entirely), such that you can keep the packages you care about up to date (and if a particular packager is completely non-responsive, there is a process to deal with that, too). If you care about xarchiver (or anything else), do get involved.

Comment

just yesterday i was investigating how to get latest clang-format on fedora. cool

Comment

Fedora + Bleeding edge? Atleast those two packages are.

I went from an Arch system to Fedora and have to file bug reports over how old some of their packages are.

You know whose bugreport made Fedora adopt xarchiver 0.5.4.17 i.e. not an ancient version?

Mine.
          And it sucked.
          > I went from an Arch system to Fedora
          Just out of curiosity, what was the reason to switch?

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

I can't answer for AdamOne, but as somebody who went from Arch Linux to Fedora something like 6 years ago, I can tell you what motivated the move on my part.
            I don't know how it is now, but at the time Arch required a lot of maintenance on my part, and sometimes the software was so bleeding-edge it was unusable, especially when it comes to desktop environments. When I realised that I had to wait for GNOME 3.xx.1 to have a stable desktop, it came to my mind that I could use Fedora because that's exactly how the releases are scheduled.

As far as I am concerned, I never had to complain about outdated packages, but ymmv.
            Last edited by omer666; 10 October 2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Fedora depends on packagers to keep packages up to date. While the "major" packages tend to be leading (if not bleeding) edge because the packagers are motivated to bring in the latest, there are certainly some packagers who are willing to let the dogs sleep until they get a FTBFS bugzilla.

The good news is that a fair number packagers are willing to add co-maintainers (or let you take over the package entirely), such that you can keep the packages you care about up to date (and if a particular packager is completely non-responsive, there is a process to deal with that, too). If you care about xarchiver (or anything else), do get involved.
              i had no clue.
              i am quite anal retentive so being a packager might be right up my hairy alley!
              Last edited by AdamOne; 10 October 2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

uhhm I dont know? : ) haha.

i was actually running the old "Antergos", not pure Arch, and was installing a new system so, since i was gonna run RAID-0 it was much easier to set up with the fedora installer-thingy than really, any other distro.
                i might have blown smoke up my own behind a bit, and got over excited about fedora beforehand, but i was drawn to the idea of a "enterprise" related distro, since enterprise has done so much for linux, in my opinion more than the community (please dont kill me)

i also agree with most of the stuff omer wrights.

Originally posted by omer666 View Post

I can't answer for AdamOne, but as somebody who went from Arch Linux to Fedora something like 6 years ago, I can tell you what motivated the move on my part.
                I don't know how it is now, but at the time Arch required a lot of maintenance on my part, and sometimes the software was so bleeding-edge it was unusable, especially when it comes to desktop environments. When I realised that I had to wait for GNOME 3.xx.1 to have a stable desktop, it came to my mind that I could use Fedora because that's exactly how the releases are scheduled.

As far as I am concerned, I never had to complain about outdated packages, but ymmv.

Comment

i had no clue.
                  i am quite anal retentive so being a packager might be right up my hairy alley!

All the best

Comment

Is there a simple way to have the same thing on RHEL8/Rocky8?

Comment

Working...
                    X