Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 22.0 Lands Some Patches Toward OpenCL Image Support

Phoronix: Mesa 22.0 Lands Some Patches Toward OpenCL Image Support

Mesa 22.0-devel is one step closer to having OpenCL image support that is sought after by many individuals for allowing more OpenCL-enabled desktop software to work nicely with this open-source OpenCL component in Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very exciting as an AMD user - the ROCm team unfortunately appear to show little interest in fixing support for DaVinci Resolve.

Comment

I hope this could help image viewers to have a smooth zoom in / out on very high resolution images like more than 20 MP.
      I can't think of any other use case for normal users.

Comment

I am so excited about this. I wish in the future to dump the amd binary opencl module for clover.

Comment

I wonder whether this will work with GPUs such as the r600g GPUs, or if this is more like POCL, or even just CPU-only.

Edit: I see that this is like POCL, just specifically over Gallium, so I am hopeful for OpenCL support on my Radeon HD 6950.
          Last edited by moriel5; 20 December 2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quppa View Post
            Very exciting as an AMD user - the ROCm team unfortunately appear to show little interest in fixing support for DaVinci Resolve.
            I tested DaVinci Resolve on Linux with RX 5700 XT + pro OpenCL driver against Windows on RTX 3060 and MacOS on M1.
            The biggest problem are the missing video codecs.
            DaVinci Resolve on Linux without codecs become pretty useless.

When Blender 3.0 comes without OpenCL support AMD will lose a lot of customers no matter if they have KMS or not.
            Last edited by Naquatis; 18 October 2021, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Let's hope Vega/Navi support is closer than it seems.

Comment

Finally, OpenCL on AMD Radeon hardware will truly be open

Comment

Fuck yes. This is the most exciting Linux new for me in years.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I hope this could help image viewers to have a smooth zoom in / out on very high resolution images like more than 20 MP.
                  I can't think of any other use case for normal users.
                  Image support in openCL opens the path to a lot of things AI. Developers haven't been implementing them because there was no point. Dig through the pictures on my HD and find all the pictures of my wife or my GF and don't take a year to do it is one example. Endless numbers of automation uses like a robot that only picks ripe tomatoes or sort recycled goods are possibilities. There are medical applications as well. The big beneficiaries will be photo, video, 3D modeling, security systems, astrology, biology, military etc. But I think once this is in place the flood gates are going to open up and we will be blown away amazed and terrified by what comes from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quppa View Post
                    Holy hell the ineptitude of that man. you know its bad when the users have to act as support for the supposedly official support

Comment

Working...
                    X