Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Launches As Newer, Faster $10 Single Board Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Launches As Newer, Faster $10 Single Board Computer

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Launches As Newer, Faster $10 Single Board Computer

The Raspberry Pi Foundation today is launching the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W as their newest single board computer succeeding the $10 Raspberry Pi Zero W...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice that they finally have 64bit capable boards across the lineup. I gave up supporting the armv6 a long time ago. I'm still supporting 32 bit armv7 on some pi2's due to Kodi installs. Probably about the time the Pi5 comes out I'll ditch the 32bit installs and go to 64bit arm only.

Comment

Accroding to the news it's $15 (not $10 as stated in the article)

Comment

arm cortex a-53 just like pinephone, so i guess the performance is about the same

Comment

Would've been better if they added 1GB ram and this could replace the Pi 3. No real reason for me to upgrade my current Pi Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
            Would've been better if they added 1GB ram and this could replace the Pi 3. No real reason for me to upgrade my current Pi Zero.
            Yeah, for 50% more dollars ($15 vs $10) you're getting the same 4 cores as the Pi3, except at 1 GHz instead of 1.4. That's really the only difference here from the old zero.

It's true that the CPU was really the major pain point of the Zero, but I would have really liked to see 1GB of ram. Hopefully it comes out as an upgrade at some point when chips are cheaper.

Comment

Nice bump from 1x -> 4x cores. Will make a noticeable difference. Not too worried about the 512MB ram. You can always download ram later.

Comment

shame it's not usb c

Comment

It doesn't sound like a version with 1Gb will come out, based on their FAQ:

Will there be a version of Zero 2 W with 1GB of SDRAM?
                  No. 1GB LPDDR2 monodie are not available, and producing a SiP with two stacked SDRAM dice would be very challenging.
                  Source: https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/new...pi-zero-2-w-2/

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                    Would've been better if they added 1GB ram and this could replace the Pi 3.
                    Please check for Frequently-asked questions.
                    "1GB LPDDR2 monodie are not available, and producing a SiP with two stacked SDRAM dice would be very challenging."

Comment

Working...
                    X