Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Lands Yet Another Round Of Optimizations That Further Reduce CPU Overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Lands Yet Another Round Of Optimizations That Further Reduce CPU Overhead

Phoronix: RadeonSI Lands Yet Another Round Of Optimizations That Further Reduce CPU Overhead

Well known AMD open-source OpenGL driver developer Marek Olšák has landed another big batch of patches to further lower the driver overhead of this Linux OpenGL driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok Phoronix readers. Who has an old card (that this new code targets) to donate to Michael so he can run some benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
      Ok Phoronix readers. Who has an old card (that this new code targets) to donate to Michael so he can run some benchmarks?
      You can test it on any GCN hardware.

Comment

My HD 7850 died recently

Comment

Just keep them optimizations coming. At some point my CPU will eventually do "negative" work while feeding the GPU and create a spacetime paradoxon.

Comment

Michael used to benchmark an R9 270X and R9 285, along with (IIRC) an R9 290 and (for certain) an R9 Fury... I think he has every GCN version available unless one of those cards died. Or did you mean the workstation cards?

Comment

All of my GCN 1.0 cards are still alive (I think). 1x7750, 2x7850, 2x7870 GHz Editions. That was a great generation of cards from AMD. First to 28nm with good performance and efficiency. And the Reloaded game bundles had some great games. I sold most of the vouchers on eBay to bring my costs down even further.

Remember when AMD and Nvidia were in a price war with plenty of downward pressure? Remember when midrange cards were $200-$250? It seems like a distant dream in our current GPU apocalypse nightmare. I still remember sinking time into Borderlands 2 at 5760x1080 with my triple monitor Eyefinity setup with the 7870s in Crossfire. Good times...

Comment

those are some what reasonable on ebay w4100 , w5000 ?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

You can test it on any GCN hardware.
                  Or RDNA. These optimizations don't target old cards at all, just old OpenGL APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Or RDNA. These optimizations don't target old cards at all, just old OpenGL APIs.
                    I consider RDNA to be newer GCN variants. I just meant anything newer than the old VLIW based GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X