Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts Latest Revision To Its New P-State Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Posts Latest Revision To Its New P-State Linux Driver

In early September AMD posted their new "amd-pstate" CPU frequency scaling driver for Linux that leverages ACPI CPPC data available with Zen 2 and newer processors for making wiser frequency scaling decisions. The goal of AMD P-State is to offer better performance-per-Watt and today they have posted a new revision of this driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How Can I install those in Ubuntu 21?

Comment

New to the amd-pstate v3 series is a patch from Valve to allow using SystemIO for _CPC registers. This patch should help some platforms like the ASUS Zephyrus G15 that use a SystemIO register for the highest performance _CPC element.
      Really optimistic to read that VALVe is already testing this new CPU driver not only on their own Steam Deck but also on other gaming-focused hardware!

Now let's just hope that the performance with "schedutil" also keeps on improving, since Micheal's first round of testing had quite disappointing results there and SteamOS 3 will default to this CPU governor, at least on AMD hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigorras View Post
        How Can I install those in Ubuntu 21?
        Wait until ubuntu releases a new kernel (probably 22.04)
        or built it yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Really optimistic to read that VALVe is already testing this new CPU driver not only on their own Steam Deck but also on other gaming-focused hardware!

Now let's just hope that the performance with "schedutil" also keeps on improving, since Micheal's first round of testing had quite disappointing results there and SteamOS 3 will default to this CPU governor, at least on AMD hardware.
          My understanding is that the p-state driver can also be used for other governors besides just schedutil. So it should provide benefits even if you are using ondemand.

Comment

Is it a good drop in replacement for current usage of schedutil? I.e. it makes power usage better supposedly, but it doesn't make performance worse I hope? Some benchmarks would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

IIRC that was tested on high TDP hardware. Extremely power constrained chips can behave differently, where even the performance governor performs worse than schedutil because the processor eats too much power to maintain boost clocks, or maintain high IGP clocks.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 29 October 2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

My understanding is that the p-state driver can also be used for other governors besides just schedutil. So it should provide benefits even if you are using ondemand.
                But most people just stick to the defaults, so anyone with an AMD CPU that decides to try out SteamOS 3 will unknowingly rely on "schedutil" doing its job properly (i.e. smooth & stutter-free gameplay).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Is it a good drop in replacement for current usage of schedutil? I.e. it makes power usage better supposedly, but it doesn't make performance worse I hope? Some benchmarks would be good.
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Early results are not that promising, unfortunately...

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

IIRC that was tested on high TDP hardware. Extremely power constrained chips can behave differently, where even the performance governor performs worse than schedutil because the processor eats too much power to maintain boost clocks, or maintain high IGP clocks.
                    True, that's the reason why Android smartphones rooted & switched over to make use of the 'performance' governor are worse for games than 'schedutil', especially so for longer sessions.

But on high TDP chips 'schedutil' should come as close as possible to the results of 'performance', ideally.

Comment

Working...
                    X