Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 94.0 Released With Linux Build Using EGL For Better Performance, Power Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 94.0 Released With Linux Build Using EGL For Better Performance, Power Savings

Phoronix: Firefox 94.0 Released With Linux Build Using EGL For Better Performance, Power Savings

Firefox 94.0 is now available and for a change it's quite exciting on the Linux front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Michael
    Initially this GLX usage is enabled by default for systems with Mesa 21.x drivers...
    EGL ?

Comment

Tangential: the flatpak version of Firefox has the crocus driver enabled by default on my Haswell laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        Tangential: the flatpak version of Firefox has the crocus driver enabled by default on my Haswell laptop.
        Yes, 94 updated the fdo base to 21.08. This also benefits the Wayland backend, which now uses opaque regions for better performance (required newer GTK3). And of course Mesa 21 for EGL.

Comment

Benchmarks?

But.

Not against Chrome. I think that's the standard metric and that's not always useful. Let's see Firefox 94 against Firefox 93 for direct reference, but also Firefox 89, Firefox 85, and Firefox 79? I just picked random numbers but let's see some progression over a long term if possible?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Yes, 94 updated the fdo base to 21.08. This also benefits the Wayland backend, which now uses opaque regions for better performance (required newer GTK3). And of course Mesa 21 for EGL.
            Thank you for the additional info. Do you have a link or further context for the use of opaque regions?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Thank you for the additional info. Do you have a link or further context for the use of opaque regions?

Cheers
              That would be https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1668805 and https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-..._requests/3111. But I don't have benchmarks, unfortunately.

Comment

Does it wayland?

Comment

Good browsers, but lagging behind some.

Things I miss is:
                  • Password reveal toggle on input type="password"
                  • Clear input button on input type="search"
                  • Better respect for the max attribute on input type="date"
                  • Support for the datalist attribute for all input types, not just for type="text"
                  • HTML dialog element
                  • The system-ui CSS font-family
                  • PWA on the desktop
                  On Firefox mobile, I miss pull-to-refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by babali View Post
                    Does it wayland?
                    Not very well, ime. I have to give it another shot post-495, but the entire Plasma became unresponsive after I updated. Waiting for someone to fix something...

Comment

Working...
                    X